Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unknown string brand...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've had a set of strings on my bass for a while now, so I thought I'd get a new set.

I bought some Boomers...but they just didn't do it for me. So I put the old set on...they still sound fabulous. They must be four or five years old.

I've had strings as old as ten years old that still sounded good to me. I use roundwounds and I like that bright, brand new sound.

Weird thing is, I must have about 15 sets of strings lying around (I never seem to throw them away). I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what brand these are. They have black wrappings on both ends. They appear to be steel, but may be nickel plated...I don't know for sure.

They have nicks in them from frets, they look kind of grungy...and I know I've had them for a very long time, yet they are THE brightest sounding strings I've ever played. Even after all these years and being put on and taken off countless times. They are brighter sounding than even new brands I try out despite being old and dirty. They sound even all the way through the spectrum and they stay in tune perfectly.

I had them on my bass when I played my last gig, last May. I put my bass away in a closet and never even looked at it since then. I took it out because I joined a new band. They were still in tune!

I don't get it. I've spent years searching the holy grail regarding strings...and here I have some unknown, magical strings that sound as bright as the newest of new strings, yet they are old as the hills...and I have no idea what brand they are.

Anyone have a clue who makes strings with black wrappings on both ends? They are probably .105 thru .45

I'm stumped. Happily stumped...but stumped none-the-less.