Unknown technique

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by serotonin, Mar 21, 2005.

1. serotonin

Mar 21, 2005
    Hello, was recently listening to Fieldy play some bass in the Korn song "Freak on a leash" and I noticed that, about half way through, a sound resembling that of two drumsticks hitting together was heard.

Strangely enough, it's not actually two drum sticks hitting together, but I don't have a clue what the technique actually is.

The only things I could think of where possibly some sort of, hybrid muted slap bass technique, but when I tryed different slap techniques none sounded even simerlar.

Alternatly, I thought it might be some loose tapping technique, so I tried different tapping and hammer on, but yet again with little success.

As I couldn't get hold of the video, I couldn't watch what he was doing. Is there anyone here that knows that technique he uses, produces almost a clicking sound.

Thanks for your time
  2. Jpat

Mar 13, 2005
    Leonardville Kansas
    I always wondered the same thing. I believe because their tuning is so much lower, and the way he attacks the strings when he plays, could be the answer to your question. I think that song came out before the "low tuning" just started to become popular. It could be he wasn't using the right strings for the lower tension. And in turn it produced a percussive sound. I like it too!!! :bassist:
  3. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I also believe it is the sound of his strings hitting from aggressive right hand technique.

If I remember correctly, he also splits his signal (dirty/clean). The clean signal may be allowing those percussive sounds to come through, but that's just a guess.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's not "unknown" - it's one of the most famous on TalkBass - there have been more threads about that, than anything else!! ;)

In fact, there was a time when you only had to say "Fieldy" and "click", to start a riot!! :D

5. *prepares to loot Luthier's Corner* :ninja:
  6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Boost you bass and highs 100%
    Cut your mids 100%.
    Drop A.
    Slap that bass!