Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unknown washburn bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sean 6000, Feb 13, 2005.

1. sean 6000

sean 6000

Feb 13, 2005
    I just got a new bass today. It's a Washburn, but it doesn't say what model it is, or what series it's from or anything like that. All it says is "Washburn" at the head stock and that's it.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what it is? I've never seen anything like it and I can't find anything on the internet.

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  3. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    I had one of those back in 1980 - a white one.
    It cost about $500 Canadian (brand new) including hardshell case

It was from the "Hawk Series", and it had some numerical designation (B-400 or something) which I can't remember offhand. I do have some info on it here somewhere - will dig it up after breakfast...

4. ShamrayBass

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    hmmm... "wing" series - and i see yours is the TOP OF THE LINE neck-thru model ( my $500 one had a bolt-on neck...)

i found some pics on my puter but they arent labelled with the model number

5. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    I think that it was B-20. They were made between '78 and '82 I think. They also made a 2 pickup version with a PJ configuration.

6. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    Oops, I was wrong. The B-20 was like a sawed-off T-bird. Could've been B-40.

7. ShamrayBass

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    I thought the A-20 was a sawed-off explorer? Now i'm 100% certain that my bolt-on one was a B-4 so possibly the neckthrough was a B-40.

The bolt-neck basses were designated "Hawk", and possibly the neck-through were called "Vulture" (?) I think that the body style shared by both was referred to as "Scavenger" body style.

I believe that Washburn can give you all the details if you email them the serial number (i'm told they have meticulous record-keeping)

8. sean 6000

sean 6000

Feb 13, 2005
    i'll e-mail washburn. thanks for the help, everyone.