1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unlabeled German Flatback $2900

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by TPugh, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TPugh

TPugh

Apr 8, 2006
    I am offering my fully carved flatback upright bass for sale for $2900. This bass is unlabeled, but it has been estimated to have been made in Germany in the late 1800's. There are several areas including along the lower belly, around the treble side f-hole, the back, and the ribs that have been professionally repaired and stabilized by the talented pros at Williams Fine Violins in Nashville. The work was outstanding and it's good to go with no buzzes, rattles, etc. Also, please note that the neck on this bass has never been broken.

Besides the repair work, recent upgrades include a new endpin, endpin wire, and a new adjustable bridge. I have it currently set up at a very comfortable low to medium string height, but it has more than enough room to be adjusted up if preferred. At the moment, it's wearing Spirocore Medium strings. I do not have any sound clips, but it has a very distinct punchy and cutting tone.

Sorry, I cannot ship this bass. I am located in Jackson, TN (between Memphis and Nashville). If you are interested, please shoot me a message and I will respond as soon as I am able.

Thanks for looking,
    Thomas

Many images here

2. This is a great sounding/feeling instrument. Someone is gonna get a lot of bass at a great price!

3. Shot you a PM, headed your way at the end of the month, would love to have a look if its still around! and is that fingerboard beveled under the E string?

4. TPugh

TPugh

Apr 8, 2006
    Thanks Will. Hope you are well.

@paddydukes: PM replied. The fingerboard is indeed beveled on the E side.

Thomas

5. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Beautiful bass. What is the string length? Are the hatpeg tuners original to the bass? Has it been tried out for arco?

6. TPugh

TPugh

Apr 8, 2006
    Thanks. Here are a few measurements for anyone interested:

Upper bout (widest): 20.5"
    Lower bout (widest): 24.75"
    C bout (narrowest): 14"
    Back length: 44"
    String length: 43.5"

Regarding the tuners, I'm unsure. The hatpegs are indeed very old and could be original. The plates, however, appear to have been added at some time later.

I've put my bow on it at home, and I think it sounds and plays great, but I'm afraid I don't play with a bow enough to try to speak of it in an arco-primary application.

Thomas

7. 43.5 inches! holy cow, thats some serious vibrating string length!

8. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Are you sure on the mensure you posted? I was hoping this would be one of the old German bases with a shorter than usual string length.

9. TPugh

TPugh

Apr 8, 2006
    Positive. On that note, regarding it's features, measurements, etc., here's a thread from when I first aquired the bass. There some additional speculation about it within.

Best,
    Thomas

10. I found the bass to be a lot more playable than the mensure might lead you to believe.

11. daaaaaang, man.
    that looks like a mighty fine bass.
    I just moved to Nashville, and I'm having a baby in May... if that last part weren't true, I would freaking LOVE to buy that bass.

someday, though. Someday I will own a beautiful, punchy old flatback bass.

Good luck on your sale! If it takes a long time to sell, maybe I could come out there just to play on it for a minute?

12. TPugh

TPugh

Apr 8, 2006
    Welcome to Tennessee and congrats. You're more than welcomed to come over any time.

Thomas

13. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Bump for a beautiful bass at a great price. Wish that I were closer (CO is a looong drive!)

Good luck with the sale.

14. Grunbay

Grunbay

Mar 13, 2004
    Maine, USA
    Is this an Eb or a D neck?

15. TPugh

TPugh

Apr 8, 2006
    Eb

Thanks for looking,
    Thomas

16. Was lucky Enough to be able to play this bass for a bit this morning, great bass! Good strong, even tone with lots of punch, real comfortable neck and very well set up. Sounded great under the bow as well, real nice Bass!

17. TPugh

TPugh

Apr 8, 2006
    New Price: $2700!

Thanks,
    Thomas

18. TPugh

TPugh

Apr 8, 2006
    Bump with another price drop to $2500.

Thanks,
    Thomas