1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unleash Hidden Power from My Classic Peavey TKO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Monterey Bay-ss, Sep 10, 2019.

1. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I disagree with the cost no more thing. I doubt you would find a tech who would replace the pot for under $10, much less under $60-70. The amp value is about $100-130. So if this amp means that much to a person, then sentimental value may make up the difference for an individual to have a tech do the work.

The stuff I use is CRC QD Electronic cleaner, and can be had for less than $10. The amp that had the same exact issue just happen to be a Peavey Silver Stripe Bandit, worth about $150-175. If it requires a bench to fix it, then it would get converted to a cab.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Electronic-Cleaner-11/dp/B000BXOGNI

So to me this is about value and expectations proposition. If the pot is already not operating properly, it certainly doesn't hurt to try to do the cheap fix. I know you were addressing the fact that I said to do this to all of the pots, but if he just did this to the failing pot, and it works for a while, nothing is lost IMO. Cleaning the pot may not work, but it doesn't hurt to try.

2. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    It’s like the Goodwill version of Brian May’s AC30 wall.

My old Standard 260 is likely on the way to a new home. But it will probably continue to bring the noise long after the apocalypse.

Madhouse27 and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Sorry, you completely missed my point.

If you are going to go through the effort of cleaning a pot, you may as well do it the right way with the right materials. It costs no more to do that right and causes a lot less damage down the road.

A good (and reasonable) tech would probably charge $50 to clean a pot and verify that nothing else was wrong, but it does depend on the amount of disassembly required. Peavey had 2 different construction styles back then, using the horizontal pots cleaning was a very quick job, but using the vertical pots more disassembly is required.

On the other side of doing it right, the CRC spray that you linked is absolutely the wrong material for getting anywhere near a pot. If you had noticed, it's for connectors only, it doesn't have the necessary element lube included (only a couple of microns of fired carbon safe lube are needed), and it's exactly the kind of material that I warned against earlier. It even has a picture of a connector on the can and not a pot!!! Details are everything, that's why I recommended what I did, I've been in the MI manufacturing and repair industry for 40 years and have seen the effects of what you suggested... long term they are terrible.

nomaj, DJ Bebop and AudioTaper like this.
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    agedhorse is just making a simple point.

little more detailed than my post.

and yes exactly like i mentioned you dont need to absolutely bath the pot in cleaner. just a quick squirt.

ideally obviously any small opening that allows the cleaner to get to the wiper. not being a lazy ass and bathing the thing or squirting down the shaft. depending on the pot type it can be little more difficult or easy to actually get a very small amount where it needs to go.

yes you dont want to wash away the very basic lubricant to keep the shaft bushing in good health. assuming there is any left in the first place. you can also add lubricant. but im not going into detail how good or bad that process is. because you again use a minimal amount in a ideal location. cause you want the shaft lubricated and not get anything on the wiper . and again not bath the thing and ruin the wiper.

there is also spray with built in lubricant and again not recommended cause most will squirt it where it does not need to go and again most likely ruin the pot.

likewise especially with slider type pots on very very old equipment. the type of resistive elements available at the time. werent very special in a nutshell . and using any special magic modern spray. will most likely instantly ruin them.

i am a very calm kind relaxed person lol. But being very protective of my absolute love in the world acoustic 370. it would be nearly impossible to find replacement sliders. and even if you do. which i can. even a old stock brand new pot most likely is not in good shape. if i seen you squirting cleaner into my sliders. i would most likely without hesitation. punch your face as hard as i possibly could. lol. dont touch my sliders bruh

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  5. Take the head off the cabinet and send it to Peavey. For under $100 they'll recondition it. They did it for my 1977 TNT 100 and it's like new.

andruca, wraub and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    That's another good option, especially if the amp & cabinet in good cosmetic shape.

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  7. I’ve had several Peavey amps over the years and I bet they’re still going, just like the Energizer Bunny. They’re heavy but they're dependable.

8. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Do I correctly recall you terming that Standard a "leveler of mountains?"

higain617 likes this.
  9. Monterey Bay-ss

... except that I didn't even spend 100 USD on this thing, haha. I might if I'm feeling flush some time, but for now, if I want serious power and tone, I've got my Mesa :bassist:

10. Monterey Bay-ss

Thank you, everybody, for your input so far. Nice to see so much love for a such an inexpensive piece.

So one thing I don't understand: is the higher volume achieved through wiggling the blue knob a bug or a feature? I.e. is it supposed to sound the way it usually does (good enough, loud enough, not exceptional), or should I be getting that glorious wiggle-induced volume at that low of a setting?

I really did expect this amp to be louder (I had it shipped sound unheard; for the price, why not?), but the acoustics in my laundry room (where I usually use it) are absolute garbage due to boxes and boxes of junk eating sound and limiting my ability to point speakers at my ears, and I chalked it up to that. It sounded noticeably better and louder when I actually played an outdoor gig with it, but what if it could be even better and louder?!?!

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    It's a bug, a damaged part and probably not going to be solved by cleaning (from experience).

12. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    We now live in the post-expertise era, have you not noticed?

When I was a kid, I fixed an amp once by wedging a penny against a capacitor. That it promptly fell down and the resulting arc then set the amp on fire is totally irrelevant. Wedging a penny into a circuitboard to fix an amp worked for me and will work for anyone.

Pardon the enraged sarcasm, I've been dealing with this kind of malarkey at the day gig.

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Oh I totally get it, the stuff I see out in the field can make a guy twitch pretty bad ;)

AudioTaper and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    That's beautiful. Played one back in the 80s.

15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

It is a dirty or damage pot. When you wiggle it it goes to 100%. Get some electronic cleaner spray, or have someone do it for you that knows how to open the chassis and get the spray into the pot.

Unfortunately, it could also be a broken solder joint where the pot joins the PC board. It'll need to be checked.

16. Monterey Bay-ss

When wiggled, it does sound about like it does set on 10, so I think you just made sense of that for me.

17. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    Yeah, especially for guitar. It’s just loud in general. Those were innovative designs in that they were modular. Peavey could send you a new face panel, power section, etc.