Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unlimited Practice Time!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, Aug 31, 2004.

1. ....Now that I've lost my job! :crying:

Victim of a corporate buyout. They corralled about a dozen of us desk jockeys for a rather unceremonius bloodbath.

Leblanc, the wind-instrument manufacturer for whom I cheerfully and productively toiled for 12 years as advertising manager until 11:15 this morning, was sold to our arch rival Selmer earlier this month. Despite assurances that our "jobs were safe," and this would be a "good thing" for Leblanc, here I am suddenly without a weekly paycheck.

Oh well. Onward and upward.

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, never believe the hype, especially if it's coming from a CEO. If money is involved, everything is fair game, including your (false) job security. Sorry to hear about that. Did you at least get some severance pay? Oh, and don't forget to fill out your unemployment forms. No use turning away money that's nearly free, 'cept that it actually came from your paycheck in the first place. Remember that you don't get a check for your first week of unemployment, so it's better to call before friday morning so that this week counts as your first week. At least that's how it works in california.

Hrmmm... do you think I've been through this kinda thing before?

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Awww, crrraap...sorry to hear that, GOODBAIT.

4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    That really bites bag, Mike. Sorry to hear it.

Guess that Chrissy will take a pounding, though... That's good news!

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Sorry for the bad news, Mike. FWIW, the same thing happened to me a while back and the end result was a great job with another company that I still greatly enjoy. Hope the same for you.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    And that's why I never trust a corporate type when they're smiling. Sorry to hear of your news. I've been sacked/dumped so many times in my life that last year I wrote a song about it called "Walking Papers". Hope this turns out to be a good thing in the end. Now go play that bass!

7. Thanks, all, for the words of support. I've already got nibbles from some contacts in the industry

Its a sad story for the company, though; the founder, Vito Pascucci, spent 50 years of his life building that company up, only to have his son, Leon, roll over and sell it lock, stock and barrell within a year of the old man's death.

8. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    ..hang in there Mike...things have a way of working out for the best. I'll keep a good thought for you.

peace

9. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Hang in there Mike.

I've been laid off since July 1st.

There have been some upsides. I have more time to practice, I've gotten a lot of gigs that have made up for the money loss this summer, and it is the first time I've been without a day job since I was 14.........

I'm learning not to define myself by my work, keeping my stress low, and ENJOY the time you have off.

Monte

10. Just an update for anyone who's innerested:

I recently landed a new day job. It was my first interview -- and my first offer. But let's face it; the offers weren't exactly pouring in. At least I can breathe a little easier when I'm opening the daily bills. The best part is that I got an almost 50% salary increase!

I have to admit that I enjoyed my few weeks off. I played and practiced a lot of bass and did a lot of gigs. I even got to volunteer as "bassist-in-residence" at my kid's elementary school, teaching a class of 4th and 5th grade beginners. Fun stuff.

It's good to be back at work but sad not to be playing more; I am severely jonesing for the feel of the EADG under my mitts. Hope that jones never goes away.

11. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Congratulations Mike. Like they say . . "living well is the best revenge." I'd say a 50% raise is pretty good revenge. :)

12. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Congrats Mike... so good to hear that you picked up a new gig so quickly. At least now you have an income so you can go back to GAS'ing. :)

13. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    ..good for you Mike...listen...if you don't have time for that Chrissie anymore...I'd be glad to take it off your hands. I'm in Chicago so it wouldn't take long to get there. :)

Seriously though, it sounds like you landed on your feet and then some. Good for you. :hyper:

peace

14. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Congrats Mike, I'm glad it worked out well for you.

15. This sounded like a nightmare for you Mike....good job of hanging in, and of course, once in a while, you get lucky!

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    condolences and Good Cheer ! Glad to hear you're back on the wagon.

Unlimited practice time is overrated anyhoo...