1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unlined Fretless 55-02 Maple fingerboard !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5fretless, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Been planning this for a while - so nice see it to come to fruition !

[​IMG]

I had the fingerboard made a little thicker - 8.5mm compared to 5mm on my fretted 55-01. Nice and chunky !

[​IMG]

Bill

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Whoa! That looks incredible! I love unlined fretless fretboards, especially maple.

Did you have the guys at the Lakland factory make that for you, or was that an aftermarket custom job? Either way, how much did it cost you? (if you don't mind me asking)

What kind of finish did you put on the fingerboard? What's it strung with?

Soundclips?

3. No - I didn't get the guys in Chicago to make it.

It started life as a lined fretless 55-02 with a rosewood board.

I got Martin at the Bass Gallery in London to replace the rosewood board with an unlined fretless board. The finish consists of several coats of polyurethane and has been buffed to make the fingerboard feel none too different from the back of a Skyline.

I have old Lakland strings on at present but will replace them very soon - I must admit to not being a big Lakland string fan. Some Elites or Status strings perhaps.........

I would imagine a good luthier over the pond would charge around $300 or so - knowing the way the pound verses the dollar thing works - you know - same price in dollars as pounds - so frustrating for Brits !

Martin makes Sei basses, so folks over here know how good he is at his craft.....

Soundclips - once I master Logic Express and get new strings I'll post something for you all to hear !

Bill

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    I love the look. The first time I have seen that look was on one of James Hart's basses.......Benavente. I've loved the look ever since.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Very cool! Curious how it sounds with some wound strings.

Over here fretboard replacement is usually in the $450-700 range, as far as I've encountered anyway.

6. chrisp2u

chrisp2u Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Is that for a Skyline or US model? I was told I could get a new 55-02 replacement for $300.
    ---
    c

7. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i saw your bass with no fingerboard!

well actually it was just the neck, Alex told me that the owner didnt want a rosewood board on it and wanted Martin to put a maple board on, i was a little like "why the hell didnt he just buy a maple board in the first place", now it al makes sense :D

i couldnt believe how they had done it either, all with a hammer and chisel, must of taken them ages, and it was really cleanly done as well :)

enjoy it

Dave

8. Yeah,

Martin did a great job - the board itself is laquered with polyurethane and is very tough but smooth. It is semi-matt - much like the feel you get on a Skyline with a maple fingerboard.

Just waiting for some new strings to arrive - Status round core roundwounds - before I start getting serious on this bass.......

9. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    well it looks dam nice now, shame i didnt go in a day or so later so i could see it with that beautiful board on it.

enjoy :)

Dave

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021