Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unlining a lined fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sandman1278, Oct 18, 2005.

1. I have a Carvin LB76F that i got with the fretlines and frot dots on because when i first got it, i had little experience with a fretless(esspecially a 6 string one!) and wanted to make the transition as smooth as possible, while at the time this was good I am much more comfortable with my fingering on the fretless and Inotation and such and was wondering if i could some how remove those lines, becasue they are aestetically very unpleasing, and most people don't reallize I have a fretless unless they look real close. So, is there some kind of fretboard re-finish or paint or something? If so how much would I expect to pay for such a service?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would recommend taking it to a luthier to replace the inlays and lines with matching wood.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    There is a post just a few threads down dealing with the same thing.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yep. And there's another in Luthier's corner, too.
    Think and read before you post...

5. ok, I guess I should have did a search first, but I did a search in Lutheir's Corner and didn't find anyhting, and the one a few spots down's only suguestion is replacing the neck, and I don't want to go and do that. Anyone have any idea of an estimate how much a lutheir would charge to replace the fretline inlays?

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    A lot. Fretlines are not easy to get out.
    Paint and finish are out of the question, they'll wear down quickly.
    They are glued in, so they have to be cut/sawed out, and then all the holes have to be filled.
    One method I've heard being used is sanding the fb, and gluing a new one upon it.
    Another is removing the fb with heat (might damage the bond of the neck, imo), and then the same as above.
    The third is getting a new neck. Carvin sells replacement necks, right? I don't know how much they cost, but having a luthier de-line would be expensive, also, and may not turn out to be as good as you expect.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd just have the fingerboard replaced.

8. a new neck from carvin cost $270 whoa, and mind you this isnt a bolt-on neck with my bass

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I say replace the fingerboard, not the neck.
    A slack of ebony won't cost you but 150 at most. Add another 100 for craftmanship and it's done.

10. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Have you determined whether "most people" even care you "have a fretless"?

I play a Pedulla PentaBuzz - it's lined with lines that practically glow in the dark.

No one EVER commented on the lines. They ALL comment on the SOUND. That's all I care about.

Take them away with your sound and they won't care about what the bass your playing looks like.

Unless of course - you think playing without lines makes you look cooler.

In which case I have to ask - cooler to whom? Are these people's opinions really worth spending about half as much as your bass costs to impress by not having lines?

Just another point of view to consider.

Or not. :)

11. theoretically you should be able to finish it with black ca or epoxy.. people use transparent ca and epoxy to protect the wood from whear.. cus these are wery hard and do not whear much.. there is tons of info on how to do this on the luthiers corner.

another option is to do a mylar coating im not sure is they come in black thoug, but you could put the color underneath.. you can find transparent or mirrorsurface mylar.. there are lots of info on this on the luthiers corner aswell..

12. ya that is why i was asking about how much something like that would cost, im not spending $200+ on this, I would rather leave it be, the clean fretboard is just more aesteticly pleasing, i wouldnt pay even $100 for it, if its going to be that expenisve its not worth it

13. all the of the things i suggested earlier should not coas more than $30 if you do it youself that is.. the mylar should be even cheeper and probably the easiest one to do..

if you want someone else to do it $200 is probably not enough