Unloading the rig for the right combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Mar 6, 2006.

1. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Im looking to unload my current rig for something smaller (lighter, prefer combo) and I need suggestions.

Im currently playing through a Mesa M-Pulse 600 through an Ampeg SVT-410HLF.

I do like the sound for the most part (the cab may be a bit boomy for my tastes) but the weight of the cab has got to go. That and a 4x10 may be a bit overkill for some of the venues I play now. Im open to suggestion on speaker configuration although Im leaning towards 2x12 right now.

Its a southern alt/rock/folk band and I play through a Valenti P-Bass. I go direct 80-85% of the time so the cab would be mainly for hearing myself most of the time and home/studio work. Some bass tones I really like are Nate Mendel (Foo Fighters/The Fire Theft) and Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam)

I have no problem unloading both the Mesa and Ampeg for the combo that will make me happy. My first thought was the Aguilar AG500SC-212C or a Mesa WalkAbout combo with the extension 1x12 but Im not sure that 300 watts will be enough headroom. Heck maybe I should just trade the Ampeg cab for the Mesa 2x12 cab, although it wouldnt be a combo it would cut a lot of weight.

What do you guys think?
  2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I'm a little unhappy with Mesa right now, due to some customer service issues, but I still can't help but recommend that Scout Combo. I have the 12" 4 ohm version and it just rocks. It sounds great and it is LOUD all by itself. I can't even imagine how good the mini-stack would sound. I've decided the one I have is all I need.

Now, if Mesa will stop jerkin' me around and get it working properly again...

3. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I also recommend the Walkabout Combo. I've been very impressed with mine and have used it for 2 years with no problems. It's pretty big sounding just by itself. I can imagine with an extension cab it would be huge. I've taken the head out and used it to drive larger cabs in big rooms and it has no trouble doing it.

If you're using the M Pulse now, you have an idea of the Mesa sound.

I can get mine to sound vintage or modern just with the overdrive and a slight EQ tweak.

I love it.
  4. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I will definitely try a Scout out. The 300 watts turned me away but maybe it will be enough power. Quick question though. The Mesa site lists the Scout combo at 4 ohms.

Would adding the extension cab (4ohms, making a total 2 ohm load) drive the amp too much? Is there an 8 ohm option for both cabs making a 4 ohm load?

JJBluegrasser, what problem have you had with your scout that they are repairing?

Any thoughts on the Eden combo's? Maybe the NC212 or CXC212?
  5. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The 300 watts in the Scout is the biggest 300 watts I've heard. Must have one hell of a power supply. I've used it to drive an Eden 4X10 at 8 ohms to earsplitting levels. At 8 ohms it only puts out something like 150+ watts. Also used it to drive a high end limited production 3 way cabinet with RCF components, also 8 ohm. Sounded amazing. i don't think you'll have a power isue. The Scout cabinet has a lot more bottom than other 1X12 cabinets because of the passive radiatot and port.

Yes, normally the Scout Combo is loaded with a 4 ohm speaker but you can order it in 8 ohm, as well as the extension cabs. Some guys have reported running the Scout on gigs at 2 ohms with no problems, but I'm a bit more cautious with my gear. I have tried it at 2 ohms and it did well, but never full bore for 4 hour gigs.

It's a very versatile little amp. I've tried the Eden, SWR and other brand name combos but the Mesa is my favourite.
  6. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    thanks 62!

Yeah the sets we run are mainly 45 minute sets with the occasional 2 hour set in there. So 2 ohms may not be that bad for my situation.

Do you find the amp boomy at all because of the radiator?

Also what does the Scout 1x12 combo usually retail for?
  7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    How heavy is that head? If the only problem is the weight of the cab, why not just replace it? Keep the head/tone you are already comfy with and get either a 210 or 112 (or both even) to replace out that 410hlf.
  8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I got tired of a big rig as well. I also do most of my gigs DI with PA suport. I haven't found a combo that I like so I did this:

SansAmp BDDI for a preamp/DI
    Acoustic Image Focus SA power amp
    Boss tuner and chorus

All these items fit in my small briefcase.

I use a Bergantino HT112 cab. I've only wanted more a few times. The whole thing is about 50 pounds and very portable.

I know the SABDDI isn't for everyone, but for most bar-type gigs, it's all you need.
  9. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Mascis, the only boominess I've heard is due entirely to the rooms. It's been easy to dial out offending frequencies with the semi parametric EQ.

I paid about $1200 Canadian for mine new, which I think is a good deal. I've heard of some good deals in the US also. I bought mine at Long and McQuade in Toronto. I prefer buying my gear from a store that I know and have had good experience with.

I originally went in to buy a GK 700 RB, having owned GK amps previously, but they were out of stock. I tried the Walkabout and it blew me away and I bought it on the spot.

The 50 lb weight is a little tough on me to carry any distance (I'm 65 now and feel it:( ) but for someone bigger and younger it should be no problem. I use a great folding aluminium hand cart which folds flat. It has big wheels and i've rolled the combo and a loaded gig bag for a couple blocks, carrying my bass on my shoulder in a bag. Pretty portable.

You'll have to decide between the Mesa and a lot of other cool looking stuff out there. I only recommend amps and basses I've actually used. But, for me the Mesa can't be beat for that great sound.
  10. janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    Try the nemesis 410 combo? It weighs nothing and it's pretty loud.
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  12. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Richard & I like to answer in stereo when it comes to Carvin's B series amps.
    Also check the new BRX 1x12" 47 lbs.
  13. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    One more vote for the BRX212 combo.