1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

unlocked Android phone - suggestions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Right now I have a $50 TracFone, the Galaxy Core Prime from Samsung.

It does almost everything, but one, screen mirroring or screen casting.

Another thing it does is make me want to smash it, because it is so damn slow. I mean really really slow.

I was considering the Nexus 5X:

Nexus 5X - Unlocked Android Phones - Google Store

LG-Nexus-5X-Unboxing-21-840x473.jpg

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I have a Nexus 6P, which is the 5X's older brother. I love it so much more than the Galaxy S5 I had before. It may not have all the fancy schmancy features of the Galaxy series (that I never used like heart rate monitor, infrared remote control, etc) and build features (e.g. curved glass, etc) but it's a good solid pocket computer. I got it direct from Google so it's bloatware-free, smooth, and quick!

If you happen to be looking for a new provider, look into Google Fi...way better/cheaper than Big Red!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. I'm concerned that the 5X might not do screen casting, does the 6P?

4. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    Have you tried chromecast?

5. Yes, Chromecast does not work for me, too much EMI. The Intel WiDi adapter worked flawlessly with my old phone, but that provider was bought out by Sprint.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've heard unlocked phones don't update properly. Is this true?

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Maybe with other phones but the Nexus line are Google's (i.e. Android's) official phones.

8. My recommendation would be wait a few weeks and see how the prices on the Nexus 6P and 5X look. There are two new Nexus phones due out soon, speculation says by mid-September. Once those come out the 6P and 5X should drop in price fairly substantially, something that's already happening due to the leaking news of the new devices. I would browse a few android blogs (Android Police, Android Authority, etc) as they will typically throw up a post when a deal comes along for a 5X or a 6P. Lowest I've seen is a 5X for around $230 and a 6P for $400 for the 64GB version, though I don't think those prices are available right now.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

There are any number of apps in the Android store that will let you cast from a mobile device to a laptop using your home wi-fi, and with the laptop connected to a TV you're there. of course, in that case it's easier to just use the laptop.

Do you live under a radio tower? Where's the EMI coming from??

10. I wish I knew where the EMI is emanating from. The nearest tower is pretty far away. It even interrupts my OTA TV antenna sometimes, usually around 7-9pm, but sometimes in the middle of the day as well.
    I was just sitting here comparing the Cort bass I bought over a month ago to the Yamaha I bought yesterday & w/o doing anything in particular, other than just running only the bridge (jazz) pickups in the bridge, they are noisy.
    The Cort is really bad though, in comparison to the Yamaha. It sounds as if someone is turning a scratchy tone pot, but that's just the noise in my humble abode.

I guess I should do my experiment again. I once turned off the mains breaker, and turned off my laptop, and ran an amp on a UPS. There was some noise then, but not as bad. It was still bad in the kitchen, which is where I did my playing at the time.
    I've since moved my Markbass cabinet into the living room, so maybe I should do the experiment again & figure out which piece of equipment in my living room is the noisiest.

Several months ago I tried all the streaming devices, except Apple TV. The only one that worked was the WiDi, which even still doesn't work flawlessly with my laptop.
    It did work flawlessly with my phone, but alas I no longer own that phone.

Chromecast & Firestick start out working fine, but fail pretty quickly. The feed drops & you have to reconnect. Sometimes the EMI is so bad you can't even reconnect.

11. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I have no idea what screen casting is, but I'm reallyiking my new Motorola Moto X Pure Android phone. Super fast, and memory upgradable to I think over 100 gig.

12. That's what my last phone was, LOL!
    I know for sure it's got screen casting, but I can't find a definitive answer about the Nexus phones.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The fix is simple: go wired. Stop investing time and energy in the wireless stuff.

14. I do that with my laptop, HDMI to the big TV. I've got a 9 foot HDMI cable that I can extend over to another 6 foot cable from the laptop.

There are some things that are just easier to watch on Android apps, like the History channel or the CW.

I might be able to use the long HDMI extension with an MHL solution.

In any case, I want a new phone, as this $50 thing, although functioning, is driving me a little mad with the lack of speed.

15. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    To WiDi (or Miracast) you need to leave your device on and playing, that was the reason i opted not to do Android for my htpc OS. My phone would be dead by mid-day, and if i have to plug it in, what's the point? If there was a good way to use Android, I totally would. YouTube, some of the TV apps, a lot of stuff is just better on Android. You could maybe do a basic Android box with HDMI out and get an app for your phone to control it, VNC style.

As for a good unlocked phone, I've always been a big fan of Motorola handsets. I've got a moto X and have always loved it. Their newer offerings are good as well, check out the Droid line. The OLED screen with the push notification preview is awesome, and i use the twist shortcut to fire up the camera a lot.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Will_White and Killed_by_Death like this.
  16. I don't mind charging it while it's streaming to my TV.
    A lot of my friends are using Minix boxes for TV in Thailand.
    I was considering one of those, until I realized I could do all that on my phone.

I have been a Moto fanboy since StarTac days. My first phone was a StarTac & I was Spock!

motorola-startac-75-1-500x500.jpg
    At least with Moto I know what I'm getting.

There was a software update to my 1st gen. Moto X that let me do that twist for camera bit.

17. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Did you see the 50 Years of Star Trek documentary? Apparently, that's where the guy who designed the first flip phone got his inspiration.

102815067-Untitled1.530x298.jpg

18. ST was the first show I know of to have tablet computers as well. I'm sure there are many other things that Gene Roddenberry came up with that would later come to fruition.
    I will have to find this 50th anniversary documentary.

19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  20. I will purposely watch this on a tablet tomorrow while getting my vehicle serviced.
    Thanks!

ChrisB2 and elgecko like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020