Unlogical speaker polarity??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vdbroek81, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Not that it is a problem to me but I am currious about the answer to this question:

Can anyone tell why the speaker connection of my amp head is reversed wired:
    The ground (-) of the amp is connected to the plus (speakon+) of the speaker.
    The output (+) of the amp is connected to the minus (speakon-) of the speaker.

When using jacks this could cause the danger of shortcircuit the output.

Only reason I can imagine is an extra 180° phase shift.

Any ideas?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It doesn't matter. It's AC, remember? Polarity changes several times per second (also known as frequency and measured in Hertz). ;)
    You only have to pay attention using several cabs, you need to connect them in an identical way (e.g. + to +, - to - on both cabs) or else you connect them "out of phase".
  3. JMX thanks for your reply. It was a bit more of a 'nerd' technical question. And maybe out of subject for this forum.

One pin of the speaker is connected to ground were the other is supplying the signal which swings from -Ubb to +Ubb. AC right.
    No problem so far.

However on my amp the +internal connection is as followed:

+ OUT -------------------------- SPEAKON -
    GND ---------------------------SPEAKON

On the back of the AMP there is a warning not to connect the speaker - to ground. The reason is clear.
    If you are only using speakons (which I prefer btw) it will never be a problem but when hooking up cabinets with Jacks there is a danger of accidentaly connecting the sleeve (which in this situation is the speaker+!) to ground.

So I wondered why this done this way.

Anyway, just wondering.