1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unmarked Hofner Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BuffSkullThump, Dec 31, 2011.

1. The brand name label is missing from the head stock of this Hofner copy, but can anyone ID it from the shape of the remaining glue? The only other ID'r is the Kaycee label on the back but I can't find any information on them either. I stumbled on this bass at a thrift store recently. You'd hate me if I told you I paid less than $60 for it, so I simply won't tell you.;)

Attached Files:

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

For $60 bucks who cares what brand it is. If it plays nice and sounds decent, enjoy it.

A shot of the body would help identify the maker.

3. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Have a label made that says "Renfoh" (Hofner backards).

4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    How about pics of the rest of the bass ? Possible brands could be National, Apollo etc. Same bass had various names by different distributors.

5. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Check with Jimmy M. He's got a Radio Shack version of one that is branded "Realistic".

6. bigalbass

bigalbass

Dec 12, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    The label looks like a small music store made up its own labels(seen that before). Would love to see more pics.

7. Thanks for your interest. More photos, as requested.

Attached Files:

8. Cool looking bass.

9. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    If nothing else, it was likely manufactured by Greco. It was probably sold under some distributor brand which could be just about anyone's guess.

Here's a link to a Greco that is pretty much identical.

Shelton's Guitars

10. Excellent! Both look nearly identical to mine, and especially Antebellum's "Univox?". Plays nice, p/u's are very hot, flatwounds give it that nice chocolaty warm sound, and provides me a nice alternative to my Fender J/V. And yes, the cool factor is definitely something I underestimated. Everyone seems to like seeing it played.

11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    These were available everywhere in the mid 60's early 70's. Almost every catalog store had their "brand". As a kid I remember just drooling over these electric marvels. My first bass was a Klira viloin bass but it just as easily could have been one of these if that is what was put in my hands. Cool find!

12. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    I am certain that is an Apollo. I have one exactly like that, except mine still has the plastic "Apollo" badge on it.