Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unmetalist Metal Songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 2, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Kinda like the VH1 thing, except we don't have to limit ourselves to songs with music videos and no hair bands/not metal bands.

I was rockin' the Iron Maiden about a week ago, and I really started to think... the song Fear of the Dark has the least metal lyrics ever.

If you really break it down, the song is just that... "I'm scared of the dark, even though there is nothing there." C'mon, at least be afraid of the dark because dracula is gonna eat your head or something...

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    So, you mean which metal song has the least metal lyrics? Or a metal band that has an un-metal sounding song?

Either way, I'd say 'Mama Said' by Metallica. In fact, I'm not sure that even counts, since it's more of a country ballad.

Graeme

3. Anything whingy by Korn, Papa Roach, Taproot, or any of that old toss.
    :bag:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's a pretty good one. Yeah, base unmetal on what you will.

5. Well Im assuming a real metal song musically whose song contents, themes and lyrics are so not metal. Kind of like Type O Negative doing Britney's hit me baby one more time. But thats a cover.

If the others were allowed I would say that song that Mr Big did...I mean cmon...Billy Sheehan + Paul Gilbert = Most disgustingly sweet bull**** next to Poison's strawberry flavoured hairspray-metal!!!?!?!

Sickens me to watch that vid on MMM (canada's vh1).

Um...as far as metal songs...there are a few. By Maiden by far my favorite (being a long distance runner :cool: ) is "Loooonelineeesss of the looong distance ruuner....oooooooOOOoOOOoOoooooooooOOOOOOooOOOOO"

Great tune, cheesy lyrics about running on and on.

Um...Judas had even cheesier songs, but they were about cheesy metal stuff like demons or something.

Ozzy Osbourne Mama Im coming home...but Zakk's chicken picking eliminates the metal genre.

Tough to say what is "metal" other than the music. unmetal would be not metal according to me...so a trick question ...there...

:bag:

6. I remember when Song 2 by Blur came out there was a thing in Metal Hammer about it being more 'metal' than 'Mama Said'.
    But does that make it a metal song? I think not... Rather a one-off toe dip into heavier waters, much like the 'Tallica boys having a stab at country, or even trad Irish folk.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If I recall correctly Mr. Blur says, "Well I feel Heavy metal" So I guess that makes the song metal...

8. A dracula. Singular makes the phrase "a dracula" funny and stupid in the same breath.

be afraid of the dark because a dracula is gonna eat your head or something...

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ozzy's entire catalog
    Anything Manowar, Stryper, hair-metal, etc.
    The new version of Ice Ice Baby

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    'Futureal' by Iron Maiden has some corny metal lyrics. I can't stand Blaze Bailey anyway. Except for 'The Clansman', which is awesome.

Every song on Megadeth's 'Risk' album is also painfully unmetal.

Graeme

11. "

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, I did forget the a.... The Andy Dick show had it's moments.

13. Hey now , the first two ozzy albums are pretty good.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Maybe it's limited exposure, I wasn't really taken by them. Who knows. :D

On topic - Zakk Wylde's cheese metal songs for the movie Rockstar. They were perfect for the movie though.

Both the original version and the remake of Changes. Great song though.

15. Well, aside from the ballads, Blizzard and Diary kick ass. Rhodes and Daisley are the best songwriters hes had in his solo career.

Also, Fates Warning and some Dream Theater, and a little bit of Queensryche qualify . They have good songs, but they are overly cheesy sometimes.

16. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    doubt it pal

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, in the traditional sense, Manowar are the metalist.

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    On the flipside of how I was thinking, I suppose so. :D

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I aint your pal, chum. :D

"Look pipe cleaners and a pound of human hair, know you can make your own custom bunny; it's your chance to play god"