1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unmotivated band members

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by inspire thy..., Dec 18, 2006.

1. Ok, probably in the wrong area, but anyways.

My band is really annoying me - to the point of me wanting to leave it.

No one is really motivated to do anything, I love playing bass, but when ever we get together and jam it makes me want to hate it. What can I do - I would simply leave but they are good friends.

HELP!

2. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Form new band, with people who actually play. The first band I joined is just like this (Hiatus). We hardly ever practice, but I've become great friends with them, and the small amount of material we do have, I really enjoy listening to and playing. But I couldn't deal with not practicing due to everyone having such different scheduals. So I formed another band with 2 other friends (The Vast Difference), one is my best friend, and the other I knew back in middle school who I ran into at college. This band actually gets together on a regular basis, and despite being together less than half as long, has already played out, if only once.

3. Yeah, like we have recorded a demo and ****, I think it is just becouse it is that time of the year (festive season) and everyone is tied up woth family. But the problems started before this - no one ever does anything.

4. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I would sit down with them and ask them point blank if they really want to play or just dink around.I'd tell them that I want to start gigging and I'm gonna do it with them or without them.Friends or not they're wasting your time.

5. Yeah, I might wait until the new year, I doubt we are going to jam until them anyway...

6. Sounds like my old Top40's cover band. We were all friends or friends of friends and noone was as motivated as me.

First thing I did was tell them I want more from music than what we're putting in and I want to be in a gigging band soon, so I NEED to be moving towards that rehearsal to rehearsal.

When things didn't change, I looked for another band to satisfy my needs and kept jamming with my mates like usual, except I stopped being the leader as such.

The singer thankfully quit after creating friction for the guitarist and the drummer quit thinking we were better off without him, but he's happy to jam until we find someone...he just doesn't want to play songs faster than Fortune Faded by Red Hot Chili Peppers or Song2 by Blur!

7. See, what makes it even harder is the fact our drummer and guitarist are really good - good drummers and guitarists are very hard to find.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    This is going to happen to any kind of group (music or otherwise) that doesn't have a goal. And saying something like, "We want to be playing out real soon", is not a goal. Having a gig on a certain date is a goal. Recording sessions that everyone pays into is a good goal. Making a Christmas CD that all the band members can us as a gift/card... good goal. Play for your own party.

If there isn't a positive feedback for the effort put into rehearsals then, in time, people will get tired of putting in the effort, it's human nature.

9. Starting a band is hard. Finding people who are really good at their instruments is, unfortunately, just one of many required elements for a successful band. Personally, I would rather play music with someone who is very motivated and has similar influences than someone who has really good chops and doesn't ever want to play or is disorganized.

The good thing is that there are probably others in your area that are in the same situation, you just need to find them.

10. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I've found that the best thing is honesty. Tell them how you feel and let them know what you need. If you never bring it up, you can't really be upset. They may think that you are happy with the schedule.

11. janek65

janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    If you play covers - start writing your own music together, i've seen this motivating bands enourmously.
    If the band writes themselves and still are not motivated - tough. Propose to try a more deliberate writing process, to create framework 'songs' that you use as a starting point for jams. If that doesn't work, leave and find musicians that have fun. That's what it's about.
    Good luck,
    Jan

12. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Here's what you do:

1) At your next meeting, announce to the other members that you think the band should start playing gigs.

2) Check for favorable reaction from bandmates. If they are less than enthusiastic about doing gigs then you now know that this band exists strictly for its own amusement. But if your bandmates ARE enthusiastic about gigs, then...

3) Inform your bandmates that you are going to get the ball rolling and then you, personally, go around and start to set up gigs. Once you have a date or two on the calendar, then your band has something to work toward, and getting the first few gigs behind you only leads to more gigs. The process perpetuates itself but only if there is a leader to make it happen. If you want the band to progress, it looks like you're going to have to be that person.

13. As usual it is up to myself, I will bring it up next time (if) we convine.

14. Kippa-Dee

Kippa-Dee

Dec 15, 2006
    Melbourne
    Mate, my band has a manager and at the moment I end up running the band myself. Us Bassplayers are alot more hardworking than ANYONE gives us credit for.

I suggest the meeting should be along lines of
    "What do we want? When do we want to be there? What do we need to do to get there?"

E.g. going "We want to play at local music festival 2008" is too general, saying that, and then we need to contact so and so by this date, do 30 gigs by this date, and have at least 16 bars knowing who we are by this date makes it more achievable.

15. That is a really freaking good idea!

16. Kippa-Dee

Kippa-Dee

Dec 15, 2006
    Melbourne
    And this is where you knowing your band mates too comes in handy.

E.g.
    Rhythm Guitarist is the wordy type - He must write a resume for you, brief description of style, venues played, gear used, and where you want to go.

Drummer lives at home and does very little work, so he can research venues and contact details, names of important people and upcoming available nights.

Singer is a fairly outgoing type and loves to go out and drink... so before he gets too hammered, he should be out there handing out CD's, talking to venues, handing out resumes and getting the contacts.

Your Lead might be the arty type, so he can design the album art, CD art and band imagery.

Then, put together your drummers research skills (finding duplicaton places) coupled with good artwork, numerous names of people in the business and a tailored resume, you can saturate the market and everyone will be impressed.. leading you to get the gigs you want.

17. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    So, what does mr bassplayer do? Go fish?:)

18. Kippa-Dee

Kippa-Dee

Dec 15, 2006
    Melbourne
    No, Mr Bassplayer gives direction, puts it all together in a coherent, well thought out package, makes chase-up phonecalls and remains the overall spokesperson and gig booker!

I don't know, but I was just posting an example.