Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unofficial Super Bowl thread (for those who watched it)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Justin V, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    WOW!!! What a game!!! The first half was classic defense v. defense and the second half was a total shoot-out. I was disappointed that it didn't go to OT, though. Dumb kickers and their kicking it out of bounds....(a common trend for me it seems this season...) :spit: :mad:

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    GO PATS! WOO! :) I'm from MA if you can't tell :) Who were you rooting for? I had to work so I didn't see the game. I did catch the halftime show with Janet Jackson and that other guy :spit: I zoned out after he came on so I didn't catch the part where he tore off part of Janet Jackson's shirt.

Did anyone else catch that? The bad news is that I missed it. The good news is that I just read that MTV probably WON'T do any more Superbowl half-time shows. YAAAAAY! I'm getting so sick of seeing all that bubble gum pop teeny bopper crap year after year.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    First of all:

Pats!!!!

Secondly, I thought that's what happened! I was sitting there thinking "I just saw Janet's boob!" If my eyes aren't too bad, it seems Miss Jackson If You're Nasty has a pierced nipple. I love this country!

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I was pulling for the Panthers just to continue my tradition of pulling for the underdog when I don't have any personal stake in it (i.e. no 9ers). Really I just wanted a good game and MAN did I get it.

Oh yeah, and the Janet thing at half-time was THE coolest thing that could have possibly happened (well...maybe if that glitter stuff hadn't been there....)

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I thought it was a great game.

Kickers seem to be the thorn in everyone's side this year--some for the positive, some for the negative.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Crazy game, excellent playing. WOOHOO the Pats rule!

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I was SCREAMING at John Fox to run more of the clock down on the Panthers' final drive. He called a timeout with approximately 1 and a half minutes left, but the clock still running. At this point they were around the 25 yard line of NE. I just couldn't understand how a Super Bowl coach could be so painfully unaware of time management. Carolina was not stopping NE. NE could throw as they wished and they only needed a FG, not a TD. So, Fox needs to understand to milk the clock once they were in the field position they were. Miraculously, NOBODY has mentioned this. Such a crucial mistake.

Kasay kicking the ball out of bounds was also horrible.

When NE got the ball back they had over a minute left, on their own 40 yard line, 2 timeouts, needing only a field goal and Carolina hadn't proved they could stop them ALL GAME. Man.

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Actually Jazzbo, I noticed that too. I remembered the 49-ers/Packers Wild Card game at Candlestick (the one where T.O. caught the winning touchdown pass from Young on the last play before getting hammered by two Packers). If I recall correctly, the Packers scored a touchdown to take a (approx.) 5 point lead with something like 2 minutes left on the clock. PLENTY of time for a great QB like Young to march down the field and win the game. Same kinda thing here methinks.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I wasn't rooting for either team (being a Bears fan) but I think it was an exciting game. As far as Janet's boob goes I thought my dirty old mind was imagining things. Other than that the half time show was the usual over produced twitchy dancing that they shove down ourthroats every year.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fox' major gaffe was attempting that first 2-point conversion (the failure of which forced him to attempt the 2nd)... that was idiotic! If he'd have kicked 2 extra points, Carolina would've had a 24-21 lead. New England scores their TD, then they'd have kicked their point for a 28-24 lead. Then, Carolina's late TD makes it 31-28, then New England's late FG puts the game into overtime.

I agree that Fox should not have been called that late timeout. On the other hand, it's very late in the game and you need 7 to tie. I think you take the touchdown any way you can get it.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Quick note guys. I split this thread into another thread for discussions about the halftime show. I thought us football fans should have a thread to discuss the game, while anyone that wanted to discuss the pop news could post in the other thread, titled the "SuperBowl Halftime Show", or something like that.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I think he would've gotten the 7 anyway, given how they were moving the ball, and given their field position. In that situation, I feel one must be very aware of the time in the game.

Yes, the 2 point attempts were big time mistakes, but I bet more than one impassioned fan thought it was the right thing to do. I don't. I don't defend the decision. Conversely, I was not happy with the play call in either situation. I thought NE's defense was soft on the draw play, which could have been effective, possibly, the first time.

Either way, Fox poorly coached his team down the stretch. Combine that with the poorous defensive play toward the end of the game by the Panthers, and you've got your loss.

13. I wanted the Panthers to win...I am not a big sports guy,but I started getting into the game:)

14. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I just got back from Houston yesterday. What a heartbreaker game!

That out of bounds kick in the 4th killed me. That was the end of the game in my book. No chance for redemtion there.

Tee halftime thing was not that big a deal. The guy who got onto the field dressed as a Ref was. The NFL/Reliant Stadium people should be embarrassed at that yahoo getting passed their security. I mean, it took me an Hour and a half to get through the pad-down and metal detector.....?? How did that yutz get through?

Anyway, congrats to the Pats. They played a very good game.