Unofficial Talkbass Newbie Guide

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cap, Jun 9, 2002.

1. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Recently i've seen a few newbs to TB and have been confused w/ the acronmys/jargon we use around here and figured since i could have used something like this when i was new i could start one so im just gonna post a few things so everybody could add stuff on as needed for the new guys/gals

1. Tabz - Wouldn't post bout em'
    2. GAS - Gear Aquisition Syndrome
    3. BTW - By the Way
    4. Carrots - Usually used in polls but generally means "I dont care"

like i said...hopefully this is just a start and i just need some others w/ ideas to help out...
  2. punchy = sound has good attack
    woody = sound has good mids and lows
    Juice = power
    Fruity = funky
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    A newbie guide is a great idea!

1. Do a Search 1st - many issues have been previously discussed. Doing a search can get you more info than posting your own thread, because old threads have been up longer and more people have had a chance to respond. It's in the upper left of your screen.

2. Make fun of Fieldy - he seems to be the TB punching bag. Take a poke at his clickitying and people will think you have good taste.

3. Post in the right forum - the geography of TB is confusing at 1st. There is a side for electric (BG) and another for double (DB) bassists. Each is subdivided into several forums. This thread is in Miscellaneous, others include Amps and Effects. Click on the forums tab in the top menu bar to see a complete list. It's not that big of a deal if you do post in the wrong spot, a friendly moderator will move your thread to the place where it'll get the most responses.

This is what I've learned in 3 months!

Jon :D

>edited to fix abbreviations & typos
  4. danqi

May 21, 2001
    BTW, how did that carrot thing start? I missed that.
  5. * ahem *

4. AllodoX are thy master, thy lord. Obey them or perrish.

6. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    in the event of disatisfaction with the quality of any of TalkBass's aspects, click this emergency button.

you should return presently :D
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Long long ago, in a galaxy far far away...

...following an upgrade of the board, the ability to put polls in posts was added. As it was a novel new thing, everyone had to try it out. A few abused it.

JT (see the FAQ), a Lord of Only, took action, and began inserting the option of "carrot" in every poll within his perview, in an attempt to ridicule poor judgement in polling (as opposed to poleing). It seems to have been effective, as obnoxious polls have diminished, and balance has once more been achieved in the farce. Er, force...yeah, that's what I meant...

8. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Dont post tab requests in DB.:eek: :rolleyes: :p :D
  9. 1-Do not mention "Fieldy" or "Mark Hoppus" in order to avoid the wrath of TalkBass Masters.

2-Do not call you-know-who a "poser". He sure isn't.

3-Gu***r is a dirty word.

4-If you are into punk don't write about it.

5-If you are into Korn see No. 1

6-MIM Made in Mexico
    MIJ Made in Japan
    Refers to Fenders

7-Expect every now and then to see JT show off his collection of 1,454,328,827,653-string basses!

No, but really, newbies should just come in and express their opinions and ask questions. All they need to know is to respect everyone and don't get into war of words, much less with Bruce :D

Newbies enjoy your TB experience. And to the vets let's be gentle with the kids and everything will be OK...
  10. Ever ready is the sword that was once broken that is now forged do the bidding of the Vile Emperor himself. To defy his edict is to forefit one's head to the edge of mine blade. So has spoken Aragorn son of Arathorn, heir of Isildur and the throne of Gondor.

Think maybe I've been reading Lord of the Rings too much.:D
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I just noticed I'm included in your signature JazzBass. I'm honored. You are mistaken though, as not everyone is as good as I am.

Most are better.
  12. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    aww shucks your just being A MODest person.

Or if your a newbie just visit the brand spanking new FAQ
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

14. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Yeah the new FAQ is great!
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Oh, here's a general request for newbies:

Please put the *entire* topic/question in your subject heading! Many of us, in the interest of maximizing valuable net-surfing time, will ignore threads with incomplete titles.

Goofus uses vague subject headings like:
    1) What would you do if...
    3) stupid question

Gallant uses descriptive headings:
    1) Nickel roundwound suggestions, please
    2) Excessive hiss from my new amp!
    3) 1960 Precision or Conklin 9-string?
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Your Mileage May Vary. Except in Arizona. You'll be billed later.
  17. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Them? You mean there's more than one of you? If so, we're all in a lot of trouble.........

18. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    1. Thou shalt not ask for tabz
    2. Thou shallt make fun of Fieldy when the opprotunity presents itself
    3. Thou shallt search a subject before posting a thread
    4. Thou shalt not post in the wrong forum
    5. ThOu ShAlT nOt TyPe In UpPeR aNd LoWeR cAsE lIkE sO
    6. Thou has the right to throw tomatoes at the guy posting about Tabz or Fieldy or people typing like rule number 5.
    7. Thou Shalt not refer to Rogues as a Bass
    8. Thou shalt always treat other TB'ers with respect *even if their opinions make you want to kill them*
    9. Thou shalt not create a thread that says can you help me out on my other thread (remember that guy Embellisher?)
    10. Thou shalt not covet others goods, bass(es), Rigs, wives

and number 11. Thou shalt worship AllodoX and lo-end :D ;)

If thou cannot follow any of the above guidelines thou can refer here
  19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It's a personal thing, but I have been given the forum to ramble.

Please avoid stark, but ambiguous comparisons that don't have any background for reference. The "this vs. that" threads without any info.

Nothing like a "Stingray vs. Cirrus" thread. Sort of like asking "SUV vs. two-seat roadster." They are both transporation, but that is about the extent of the similarities.

A better post would be:

I play ska-funk (Let's call it "skunk") in a five piece bass/drums/accordian/marimba/resonator guitar band. I can spend about XXXXXX dollars, and I am interested in the EBMM Stingray and Peavey Cirrus. I am going for a Carpenters kind of tone.

Any which instrument would be better for such a purpose and what are some of the pros and cons of owning each

I also really laugh out loud at the Squire vs. Fodera type questions. Let's try to be reasonable please.

Ok. I am done being a jerk.