1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unpacking MIDI files

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mottlefeeder, Mar 24, 2005.

1. I've started downloading MIDI song files to use in Cubase SE so that I can learn the bass lines. I start with the Bass score in view, and I work up to no score and bass channel muted.

Several songs that I have downloaded have been packed into one MIDI channel, and although my PC is able to play each note with the right instrument sound, I cannot get at the bass part.

Is there a utility (preferably free) that will take a one-track MIDI file and break it out into one track per instrument?

2. Is that a definite 'no', or are you still thinking about it?

3. I took my query to a MIDI forum, and I got an answer within 24 hrs. For anyone who is travelling the same road:

MIDI files recorded on several separate tracks are format 1. MIDI files merged onto 1 track are format 0. In Cubase, to un-merge tracks from format 0 to format 1 you use [dissolve] on the MIDI function menu.

If your MIDI player/sequencer cannot convert from format 0 to format 1, there are several utilities that will do it for you, e.g.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=convert+MIDI+file+format+0+1&btnG=Search

Hope this helps someone besides me.

4. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't personally need it right now, but sounds like useful information. Thanks for sharing.