Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unpleasant buzzes on MTD Kingston fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Copycat, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Anybody have a problem with buzzing on an MTD Kingston fretless? I just did some modifications to mine and had it set up by a professional luthier/tech. But there seemed to be a lot of buzz, particularly across the neck at the 13th to 16th fret line area. A straight edge showed the neck to have no high points. We added relief. We raised saddles. Still the buzz. I put on Dean Markley NPS Blue Steels, light gauge, because the ebonol board is twice as hard, I've been told, as ebony. So the nickel plated steels seemed a good choice. Is the ebonol just very bright and am I possibly getting greater than usual string against board noise? Michael Tobias has been great and if I can't rectify the problem locally, he's suggested that I send it back to him. But I just wondered if anybody else had this problem, and if something like a new kind or heavier gauge of string might help. Thanks.

2. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Yeah, although I didn't have it in my hands for long before I took it in for the work. The buzzes were there but not real objectionable (there a buzzes and there are BUZZES, you know?). I thought that maybe the stock MTD strings (stainless round) and the very hard board might be accentuating it, and I knew I was going to be taking it in for the setup anyway, so I didn't really fixate on it too much. I dug the Jaco vibe the MTD strings on the ebonol board had, but I thought the NPS might back off the brightness and maybe some of the buzzes. When that didn't happen, that's when I started to get concerned. I know you can't diagnose things by having them described. The tech and I couldn't even get to the bottom of it and we were there. But again, I just thought maybe someone might say, "Oh yeah, that's ebonol with a roundwound string. Noisy. Buzzy. Get used to it." The tech's offered to put on a new and different kind of string set and set it up again free of charge, so I'm thinking maybe something very different, like a coated string, might really diminish the problem or, if not, underscore that maybe something is not so right with the neck or something. I'm gonna take the bass in tomorrow and give him another go at it.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    That's definitely NOT it. My fretless Tune has an ebonol board and it never buzzed when I had rounds on there.

I had a Kingston fretted and I can tell you that I had some serious buzzing problems with it. I got most of that taken care of, but some did remain.