1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unplug and power down

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cygnus X-1, Jul 24, 2008.

1. I am so sorry for asking this very novice question. I am just unsure and it's been a long time since I've done it. What is the proper way to power down (turn off) an amp and cord removal of a guitar or bass?

Also, if you are playing a passive bass and want to switch to an active bass, how should this be handled? I feel that I have too much invested in my instruments to screw this up.

2. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    What i do whenever i stop playing my bass is turn of the amp and unplug. Also make sure you have everything connected before you turn the amp on. Some amps have an active and passive input, but unless your bass is super hot, just use the passive input.

3. mikedett

mikedett just getting started

Jul 15, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    turn down the bass, and the main on the amp. you can unplug now, and not get the pop.
    above is suitable for axe changes.
    I always turn down mains and turn off main power. I leave standby on until the instruments and cables are packed. on amps with fans, this leaves the fan running to cool things off a bit. I try and wait as long as I can
    before moving tube heads after they have been hot. this is to protect the hot filaments in the tubes.

4. Before turning my amp off I always turn master and gain down, then turn off the amp.

If you don't do this, sometimes you'll hear a op go through your speakers shortly after you flick the off switch. I don't think it will cause any major dammage, but simply by turning down the gain and master I prevent this from happening.

In most situation if you are switching from one bass to the next and have a single input, it is usually safe to simply turn gain right off, unplug the current bass, plug in your next bass, then dial up gain as desired again. This may vary from different makes of amps.

What amp are you using?

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am the only person who makes use of a mute switch?

6. Ampeg rocket bass B-100R (2 inputs)
    Line 6 Lowdown 150 (2 inputs)
    Fender B-DEC 30 (one input)

7. Mute switches are good IF yr amp has one. MUTE then turn levels down & power off! After all sound has ceased outta spkr- unplug bass/FX etc...

8. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    NO. I use one, also.

9. FingeringAm

FingeringAm Inactive

Jun 28, 2008
    So Cal
    is it TERRIBLE if i dont do this? :bag:
    i will from now on but has this caused any serious damage to my SS combo?

10. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I buy equipment based on reviews that they are invincible, because I know that between me being drunk and my roommates who I for some reason allow to use my stuff, its not gonna be done right 100% of the time.

Generally though I turn off the amp and then unplug the bass. I have a 300w Peavey combo, it makes a little pop when it turns off, but you know what, apparently they all do that (Peavey 300's that is). So it cant hurt it too much, if at all.

BTW I bought the amp used, and its from either the late 80's or early 90's. Has probably been beat worse than I'd like to imagine. Works great.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021