Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unplugged sound may make a difference??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by draginon, Dec 16, 2005.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I saw this on another website and thought I'd repost it to see if there are any similar answers:

Recently I grabbed a buddy's ken smith and began doodling around on. It sounded so different. I'm pretty sure the strings werent new or anything. I wanted to hear any opinions on determing a bass's tone or at least the tone of the wood from playing it unplugged.

Also another thing I noticed... Since I am always cold, I wear a sweater with a hood. If any part of the bass is touching the hood ( i wear my bass kind of high so I guess one of the wings would touch) the vibrations from the bass transfer to the hood. The hood is of course.. on my head and touching my ear. I can feel the vibrations and hear (what I think is) the tone of the actual wood almost as if it was an acoustic bass but of course its not even close to as loud and it doesnt sound like an acoustic bass.

WOuld this be a good way to determine the tone of the wood\construction?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think in general the more good vibrations you get when playing a bass unplugged, the better.

3. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    You can tell which basses have good resonance by playing them unplugged. No resonance = dud.

A luthier told me that if I don't like the sound of a bass unplugged, I won't ever really come to love the bass by swapping the pickups.

4. Exactamundo.... Everything starts from the roots...

I had a bass that I constantly changed the pickups on, but the wood was too soft(ash body, rosewood fretboard), and I never got the hard-edged tone I wanted..only the very best electronically-replicated approximation of it.....