1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

unplugged

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Your Uncle Al, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Your Uncle Al

Your Uncle Al

Jul 26, 2017
    what is the best sounding unplugged acoustic bass guitar you've ever heard?

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Pretty hard to tell, even though I've tried plenty, since most of them have those horrible bronze-wound strings.
    The new Epiphone Masterbilt Deluxe would be nicer if it had good strings, for instance. It's relatively loud.
    The funny thing is, I played one just last week and I thought it had flatwounds on it but the Epiphone site says Phosphor Bronze and I can't imagine the one I played was used.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Tacoma Thunderchief. And yes,, strings make a huge difference.

bassstation and TheBear like this.
  4. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    The Martin acoustic bass I played at a Guitar Center when I was in the States this past spring. There was definitely a rich acoustic quality to it that far surpassed the various low-to-middling end Asian acoustic basses I’ve played/own.

Nevertheless, I’m happy enough with what I’ve got. But if money were no object, sure I’d get that Martin. I mean, I could buy it if it were a priority, but it’s just not a high enough priority. The thing is, I really enjoy my "O Bong" acoustic bass that I keep out in my apartment so I have a bass to play at home during the week. I sort of couldn’t enjoy it more, actually; and if it were more expensive, I’d just worry about damaging it or it getting stolen or whatever. But that Martin sure did sound nice — surprisingly so (to me).

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Ernie Ball Earthwood. Guild B50. Emerald Balor. Martin B1. Taylor-Klein AB1. Tacoma Thunderchief. Roughly in that order... Mostly out of production, all expensive and large. Balor NBD posts including pics and clips starting here: New Emerald carbon fiber ABG - impressive!

For strings (yes, they make a huge difference), my favorites for ABGs: New from GHS: Pressurewound Bronze

Jason Hollar, M.R. Ogle and dmt like this.
  6. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    I also have a fretlesss MIK Epiphone El Capitan that I like. It’s body is bigger than the other acoustic basses I’ve played and it accordingly puts out more low end. I wish I had gotten one of the fretted version back when they were still made in Korea (quality was good towards the end of the Korean run. Might be fine now too, I haven’t kept up with it).

7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    No way to tell, impossible to hear unplugged.

Frank77 and DavC like this.
  8. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol

Wow, you got to try all the legends (if the much maligned acoustic bass category is even allowed to have legends, lol). Pretty dang cool. Man, I’d like to try some of those. The Earthwood would seemingly just be too big for me though (still would like to at least bang on one for a few minutes), and the Baylor wouldn’t personally be my cup of tea (though I appreciate that you really dig them).

That Taylor-Klein AB1 sure is a looker...

I shoulda gotten me a Tacoma Thunderchief back in the day. There were rumblings (so to speak) even back then about how good they were (also rumblings about fragility and provenance, as I recall), but who knew it would go out of production so soon and become the stuff of legend

Jason Hollar, HolmeBass and bholder like this.
  9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Haven't tried the Emerald Balor. Everything else, spot on.

bholder and dmt like this.
  10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    It will likely be moving up in the list once I get the GHS Pressurewound Bronze on it. Hard to do a really fair direct comparisons, but one of these days I will do a long-threatened "Big and Loud" rundown thread.

Max Blasto likes this.
  11. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    I have a Martin B1e, which offers excellent tone and better volume than most abgs... as loud as any Tacoma I've met. Very clean and thumpy. If I was looking to buy an abg strictly for unplugged tone and didn't need max projection, I'd go for one of the Martin mahogany models.

My Mota custom is, in dimensions, much like an Earthwood...it has much more volume, and a bit more air in the sound, especially played near the neck. If I need more whomp and less whoom, I move my plucking hand toward the bridge.

Both of these run tapewounds for a more urb sound. That may be taking a little volume off, but it gives a tone I prefer, including less finger noise.
    two_basses.

12. 1st generation Harry Fleishman Compact Bass, followed by original issue Eko BA-4.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ernie Ball Earthwood

attachment.

maxresdefault.

mikewalker, slobake and lz4005 like this.
  14. Max Blasto

Max Blasto

Nov 29, 2010
    San Diego
    Guild B-30.

With bronze roundwounds.

If you want it to sound _really_ good, throw a set of tape wounds into the back of a moving garbage truck and _then_ play your ABG. Tone for days...

bassstation likes this.
  15. h00v3r

h00v3r

Jun 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Don't laugh. I got one "by accident" off ebay one evening after a few beers. The big body projects better than any other ABG I've tried. No it's not easy to play. No I'm never going to gig with it. (I'm embarrassed to even talk about it here)

Attached Files:

16. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    All the big names have been listed, if i were going to buy an acoustic BG, though. I would get either then Ibanez or Deans that are everywhere. Probably the Dean as i actually really like their acoustic instruments. Especially for the buck.

17. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    HolmeBass likes this.
  18. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Believe it or not, the best one I heard was an Applause (Ovation value line) AE140. I miss my old one dearly. It was super loud in the mids with balanced lows and highs. The best way I can describe its tone is that of a loud, acoustic Jazz Bass that responded well to finger dynamics. That thing easily kept up with two acoustic guitars and hand drums in terms of volume and usable tone. Also, it's unique "bowl" shape made it much easier for me to play than the standard shapes out there.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Eoiohone has its act together when it comes to ABGs IMO.

I’ve got a fairly old set of phosphor-bronze strings on my Epi El Capitan. It has none of that godawful bronze sound I think you’re referring to. It’s got a solid fundamental with just a little singing quality on top. It sounds more like it’s strung with some sort of bright flat or LaBella copper white nylons.

But I also think that preamp has more to do with it than anything else. Epiphone contracted with Shadow of Germany to do the eSonic preamp (and I’m guessing the pickup) on the model I have. Looks like this:

AB46DC53-4E76-4022-9C95-979F800CACBD.

That EQ “shape” control sounds absolutely marvelous to my ears. It’s the only piezo preamp I ever heard I liked to sound of. Very organic with some really complex and musical mids - minus any of the usual piezo harshness.

murmur70 likes this.
  20. Bobbylon

Bobbylon

Dec 17, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    IMG_2486.JPG I really like my Washburn AB-45. Came with rounds which sounded terrible, put flats on it (chromes i think) and sounds great unplugged! When using a pick it’s loud enough for small acoustic practices (without drums).