Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unplugging an active bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hategear, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I know that active basses should be unplugged when they're not in use, but does the actual bass have to be unplugged, or can I leave the bass plugged in, but unplug the cord from the amp.

This is not a dumb question -- is it? I'm an active pickup virgin.

2. JMBass

JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    Portugal
    As far as I know, the switch to connect and disconnect the electronic circuit, is placed on the bass plugin. If you leave the "jack" connected to the bass, the circuit will be active.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

It's real simple. When you're not playing the bass, pull the cord out of it. It's generally a good idea, anyways. You never know when some idiot will step on the cord and yank it out of your bass causing damage. Also, check your battery every 6 months. You'll hear the bass lose volume and start to distort when the battery dies

Rob

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    It'd be easy enough to find out. Leave the cord plugged in and see how long the battery lasts. My guess would be that just flipping the switch would work as well as unplugging the cord.

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

If you go to the Fodera site, they talk about this. This is still a very small draw on the battery if the switch is off or the bass is in passive mode. They estimate battery life to be about 6 months for the average player. I have a VW classic and it is an 18v system. 2 Nine volts!!

Rob