Unpopular/Controversial opinions about bass players, playing bass, basses and bass gear!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Apr 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    So as the tittle says share your unpopular/controversial opinions about bass players, playing bass, basses and bass gear.

Here's mine:

Cheap budget basses CAN be great instruments (bar the cheap hardware and electronics).

2. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    Here's mine . Expecting a load of 'disagreement ' but Jaco Pastorius - not for me . Been listening to a fair bit to try and convince me but not feeling the love . This is not meant to start a war and is just my opinion .

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    "You can't play chords on bass." hehe - always good for a few pages of yelling... ;)

Qlanq, rollie 55, basshawk21 and 17 others like this.
  4. nilebodgers

nilebodgers

Nov 25, 2017
    UK
    Bass solos almost always sound rubbish. (Excluding locked-in funky things with the drummer - that can be great.)

Ditto chordal playing. It’s like watching an elephant dance - the dancing’s not good, but it’s amazing seeing it can dance at all.

5. Pedals are compensation for lack of technique

6. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    Before I joined this forum I had never heard of him. Jazz is kind of MEH to me anyways. Not a fan either.

7. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Well, of the comments already posted, I agree with almost everything.
    Pedals can be useful, though.

I'll add this...Geddy Lee is way over-rated, and can't sing, neither.:)

Bass Canuck, rollie 55, oren and 22 others like this.
  8. MynameisMe

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    Flats are the Holy Land of strings on a P bass.
    Not so fast Mr. Joker!

9. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I’m having a reluctant realization that flats on my P are not where its at....
    11C6CD82-3447-4198-9F95-EBE8AAAD95D1.jpeg

10. MynameisMe

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    Been there, done that. Just not my thing. Love to hear! P bass roar! Not thump.

11. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    Knowing theory makes you a better musician.

12. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Gonna have to disagree on this one.

13. MynameisMe

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    I've played with a few musicians who could only read sheet music and couldn't play at all with others.

68Tele-Bass, Whale, westrock and 13 others like this.
  14. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Well, you asked for it.

John Entwistle playing is very annoying. Get a guitar, dude. It's what you want, anyway.

Vintage Fenders are old and overpriced. Modern ones must be much better, because Leo was cutting corners all the time. Woods bought because they were cheap, Poor painting and re-painting bodies, choosing parts on budget. How can this make for an excellent instrument? Can't make the mojo, though, they have that.

Bass solos should stop being a chops fest with no taste and start being musical. We get it, you're fast, but can you music?

People who criticize what others play (cheap or expensive instruments) need to look at themselves first. It's childish.

15. Flea really is a good bass player who adds value to the songs with his bass lines.

16. Slap bass is awesome!!!!! :bassist:

17. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

If less were really more James Jamerson would have stuck to root notes. Bass players just say "less is more" to cover up for their own lack of sophistication and technique.

zie, lordradish, smeet and 35 others like this.
  18. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Palm Bay, FL
    Here's mine: Fieldy's playing won't ever be confused with a top-notch technical tour de force, but I think he's a perfect fit for Korn's style.

smeet, XLunacy, Kenova and 7 others like this.
  19. dangevans

dangevans

Mar 26, 2014
    Bass players should be allowed to order only off the kid's menu at Denny's.

20. ahbradot

ahbradot

Dec 14, 2019
    Florida
    I know this is "talk" bass. But I would just love to "see" and "hear" a short cell phone video of these awesome new basses here on NBD. Just a few simple bass notes would suffice on your new cool bass.
    Yes, I know YouTube exists but most manufacturer videos are sterile.
    Also we know bass review video's are available every.
    But, a lot of these NBD's here are older model basses that can be very nice to hear and many of us are unfamiliar with.
    Talkbass NBD videos could be nice and raw, pure and simple, more organic, less contrived and way more interesting to us fellow TBer's.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.