Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unruly fretful fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Buh_Sheeky, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Well when you're playing do you find that sometimes one of your fingers you're not using, like ring or middle, will sometimes pop/hide under the fretboard or will stick out. I'm double jointed in my fingers and sometimes they lock...not coo'. It does affect speed and my teach is all like you'tr spending more energy than you have to. Any advice of correcting this problem?

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    How long have been playing? Sometimes it takes years of practice to control all the fingers! Maybe try some good octave exercises with the index and ring finger.

3. LARUMBLE

LARUMBLE

Feb 11, 2005
    TRY SPINNING A PEN THRU YOUR FINGERS TO BUILD CO-ORDINATION I USE IT TO BUILD SPEED,EX-GUITAR PLAYER :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Apparently you use it to keep the caps lock on too ;)

I have double-jointed finger-tips that flop back when I push the strings, so I have to build up the muscle in my fingers to keep them straight. Big pain.

5. ^^^
    heh I've got the same problem sometimes too. I'll get lazy then, floomp.

I've been playing for about three years now, two 'self taught' which doesn't really count.

And I can spin a pen with my right, but not with my left, so I'll try that. Thank yalls.

6. Learn to do it two at once, not only does it build coordination, but you can impress chicks too :D

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    No.

8. it stick's out a little, but its not a problem

9. :scowl:

That wouldn't impress me. :rollno: