Unsatisfied with Willis book.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Sep 16, 2005.

1. I picked up the book that Gary Willis wrote, Fingerboard Harmony For Bass. It didn't really teach me what I wanted to know and now I don't really need it. Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do with it? It was more . . . .theory, which isn't necessarily bad, it just wasn't what I was wanting to study.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, what did you expect? (honest question).
    You can always sell it to somebody here on the forum.
  3. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    If I may ask... What is it you were looking for? If the book was too "theoretical" that is... :bag:
  4. Fair questions, both of you.

What I was looking for was a book that explained WHY jazz chord structures go where they do. The theory behind what leads to the typical jazz sound. This book seemed somewhat 'elementary'. I bought it thinking that it would describe the 'when', 'where', and 'why' of what Gary Willis does on many of the songs I've heard him play, especially his improve bass solo work.

As far as selling it, I don't have the support membership.
  5. Maybe using the word 'theory' wasn't my best choice of words in the first post. :oops:
  6. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Gary's book is intended to help you develop a thorough knowledge of the fretboard.

If it's theory behind jazz music that you want, take a look at 'The Jazz Theory Book' by Mark Levine.
  7. Thank you, David. I will check that book out! :)

By the way, if someone would like to have this Willis book of mine, and would like to help out Talkbass.com, send me a Paypal for about $22 (that should cover their fees, hopefully), and I will send it to talkbass.com for support.
  8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great suggestion. As long as you have basic theory knowledge than this is a great book (I own it myself).

I was on the same quest a short while ago as you are now. I went to a very gifted guitar player who teaches at Berklee (Tim Miller, BEAUTIFUL cat!). He gave me the best advice I've ever heard. I've heard it before but it just became apparent to me in that moment. What I needed most for my playing and my chord knowledge was to simply start transcribing. Whatever catches my ear I transcribe. I got a great computer programo to slow it down and now it's a breeze. I'm learning more about note choices and chords than I've ever gotten from any book or teacher. I think both are important but transcribing puts it all together, for me at least.

The computer program that I picked up is the Studio version of Sound Forge. It goes for $70 and is indespensible.
  9. that carol kaye ???? lady i think is what you may be looking for read the tips on her website pretty much answers those types of things