1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unscientific Guess-the-Preamp Comparo: Demeter, Monique, Genz (with others later).

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkA, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Thanks for posting the Walkabout clip. Nice tone - just a bit lean and analytical compared to Monique and the Demeters. Very articulate, with nice dynamics. Spoiled I guess. Really good for a hybrid. Could you post a link to the micro-amp comparison? Search turned up only your Walkabout post.

2. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    MarkA.....thanks for taking the initiative to create this thread.
    It has been great to follow.

dukeorock likes this.
  3. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Thank you!

We talked on the phone once, years ago, when I was getting back into playing after a long layoff and looking for my first "big boy" rig. I had lots of questions, and you were patient and indulgent of my newb-ness. I remember and appreciate that. Thanks for listening and for stopping in.

I'll have to make sure that my next comparison of this type is more carefully controlled! (But then, it might not get done -- got to strike when inspiration does.)

4. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Found it HERE (in the KXB500 thread). The result I get with the Walkabout is probably on the "lean" side of what it can do. I'm trying to keep it tight and fast -- it's a balancing act between that and harmonic complexity, which I also like. That influences my tube choices, too. EQ and different tubes (edit: and the GAIN control) can get it a lot bloomier (or grindier, for that matter), but I suppose there's a certain sonic signature that's always there, more or less prominently. The Walkabout's harmonic content and feel is also influenced by how loudly you're running it -- V2, if I understand right, influences pretty strongly how the poweramp reacts, and it doesn't really get pumping until the volume reaches a level significantly higher than I could peaceably achieve in my apartment.

I took a photo of the settings used -- forgot about that. Shoud've done that with this group.
    img_20150107_223105-.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    AstroSonic and dukeorock like this.
  5. Nice comparison! That Kustom is a real sleeper. Great punchy, articulate tone. I can see why it has a strong following. Just somewhat harmonically thread bare compared to the Mesa. I can see that the Walkabout could be EQ'ed for a tone that is a little less lean. Very articulate and beautiful harmonics. Don't know what to think about the F500. Very not impressed. Neutral does not have to be 'flat' (lifeless), but this one is. Thanks for the link - a person could spend days trying to find this stuff.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Very good samples and posts - helpful all the way around.
    Still nothing to convince me that my playing warrants more high-end gear... and my wallet thanks you for that.
    Nicely done.

7. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    If I had any endorsement deals, I suppose I'd be in trouble. ;) Thanks, though -- glad to be of service!

kesslari likes this.
  8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Hey, it's not that *you* didn't convince me to buy more gear. It's that I'm fighting that battle on my own. I've got good gear - actually, great gear. And there's more, better gear out there... that's what GAS is all about. I'm realizing that I'm at the point where it's not about the gear any more. But being on this forum sometimes makes it hard for me to remember that....

9. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    If I couldn't relate to that, I wouldn't have all these amps on hand to make these samples. I hear you, absolutely. I constantly struggle to see through the mirage of externalized fulfillment that is GAS. Some days are better than others, doctor. I'm working at achieving a healthier relationship with gear -- something that'll let me try new stuff without suffocating in guilt, but won't land me in the poorhouse or on an episode of Hoarders. I'm taking it one... day... at... a... time.

what-about-bob-baby-steps.

AstroSonic likes this.
  10. juledude

juledude Creator of the Monique Preamplifer and Bass Amps. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Owner and creator Jule Amps. Creator of the Monique Bass Preamplifier
    Good job. Nicely done.

11. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks, Jule, that means a lot coming from you.

12. juledude

juledude Creator of the Monique Preamplifer and Bass Amps. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Owner and creator Jule Amps. Creator of the Monique Bass Preamplifier
    I appreciate very much these opportunities for good people to get some idea of where their quest may send them. Your effort is much appreciated. We are all in this together.

AstroSonic and BurningSkies like this.
  13. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks again, Jule.

Gotta admit, I'm honored but also feel a bit of pressure, now that you and Jeff Genzler have stopped by! There are more polished and comprehensive representations of these preamps out there, for sure. I only hope that these are in some way useful and enjoyable. There's more available with each of those preamps -- what's here only shows what I did with my bass, hands, and (perhaps questionable approach to) EQ in a given moment. (On that note, I think I prefer my flat-EQ recording of Monique to my EQed one. Will have to revisit that.)

I appreciate your support of players (like Jeff, you've patiently answered many of my questions) and your egalitarian attitude toward this whole tone-endeavor.

14. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Here I am preferring the direct tone...

15. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Here's a little something different. The pre is a bit of a dark horse -- nothing that's been featured in this thread so far. It's the first anything with a tube I got, actually, years ago, and I got it not with the idea of using it for electric bass, but because I need something that would feed my condensor mic (another first purchase) 48 Volts (clue #1). It sat in a box for years, partly because I misplaced its power adapter, partly because sometimes, once things make their way into boxes, they tend to stay there, and partly because, while I thought it was neat, I wasn't blown away by it or by what it did for my recorded sound (which would've been mostly mice'd cello at the time).

Found an adapter, the other day, that worked with it, plugged in my bass, and was decidedly underwhelmed. Pulled out the unlabeled and sad-looking stock tube and tried a couple of others in there -- of those, I felt a JJ 12AT7 made the biggest improvement and that's what's recorded here.

There is no EQ (and, indeed, no EQ on the unit) and no effects. Same bass and strings as before. A drum loop from Garage Band is panned up the center. Neck pickup on the left track. Both pickups, favoring the bridge very slightly, I believe, on the right track. I included each track soloed (panned up the middle when soloed) as well. I initially set out to demo the pre at a variety of different gain levels in each pickup configuration but ended up just recording a little sketch I like with the gain straight up. (Speaking of levels, again, I want to set them differently depending on what I'm using to listen. )

You are welcome to try to guess what it is if you like, but I am more interested in people's impressions of it. I'll reveal what it is before too long.

Left/neck:

Right/both:

Cheers!
    Mark

EDIT: bumped the drums down a couple of dB and reposted the first track -- sounded okay to me last night, but a bit too hot this morning!

16. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    You know, while the direct tone isn't my favorite here, I was initially surprised at how not-drastic (relatively speaking) the differences between the direct tone and the tone through any of the preamps were. I think I was expecting something a little more hit-you-over-the-head, but these are preamps, not effects units, and I guess the point isn't to make my bass sound like something else. I have gotten sounds I like recording the bass direct. Something that might not fully come across when listening is the feel of the different amps... it's palpable when playing, and makes a difference to me -- as do the tonal differences, but you can hear those and judge for yourself.

You are of course free to like what you like. ;) Thanks for weighing in!

17. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Yeah, and how it sounds in a real mix is important too. My opinion might change then.

18. The direct has deeper, more natural bass. The pre sounds more solid and articulate. The stereo and accompaniment in the direct sound clip is pretty distracting and, for me, made comparison with the pre a bit difficult.

19. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Okay, now I'm confused. Are you guys referring to the original "A" clip? That's the only one I recorded direct (no preamp). This most recent one, with the two bass tracks panned (mostly) left and right, is all through the preamp. The left, more sparse, palm-muted track is on the neck pickup. The busier, right-side track is with both pickups. Both are run through the preamp with the gain at noon.

For the soloed tracks, I panned them straight up the middle.

20. I know I am confused!

Translated; The first track has deeper, more natural bass. The 2nd and 3rd tracks sound more solid and articulate.

I have no explanation for this. It's just the way they sound. :)