Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unstable E string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cristo, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Question for the wise men...

The E string on my bass is a bit unusual. The pitch will start a few cents flat fro a second or so, then suddenly jump to a few cents sharp for a second or so, then jump back to a few cents flat. This is easiest to note on a needle tuner.

Basically it flips back and forth between flat and sharp, but again only by a slight amount. However this makes it difficult to intonate and tune. It's not like a chorus effect but rather like a switch is being flipped and then flipped once again.

This is a Fender Geddy Lee with Badass II.

Any ideas what is going on? Bridge, neck, string problem?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds almost like there is sideways (torque) tension on the string. Try unstrinign that string and restring it, making sure not to twist it sideways. I had a flanger ish sounding effect on my E string once where it would go in and out of pitch and that was the problem.

3. So you mean the string may be twisted? I thought of that but I haven't tried it yet...

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Sometimes that sound happens to me when I down tune and slam a string real hard.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for sharing?

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You have a nice day too. :)