Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unstring bass for flying?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kontogiannis, Feb 16, 2006.

1. kontogiannis

kontogiannis

Dec 17, 2004
    I recently bought a bass online and was wondering if I should have the guy unstring my bass in oder to ship to me by airmail.

2. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I wouldn't worry about it. But then again, I'm not anal about my equipment.

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    No stringed instrument should be left unstrung for any length of time. De tune the instrument half a step before flying so as to keep the neck under some tension. If you leave it unstrung it will take ages and constant adjustment getting the instrument to play right.

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    No, I don't think so.
    When strung up, a bass is stable. The truss rod force and string pull is in equilibrium. When I travel, or when I ship an instrument, I make sure it is tuned. And in most cases, it'll still be in tune on arrival.
    Taking off the strings makes no sense at all to me.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Grasshopper from Bass Central wrote to Bass Player mag and it was published in the letters section in the March of '06 issue.

He stated that it is a bad idea to detune or unstring a bass to ship. For exactly the same reasons stated above. The trussrod is used to high tension and when you take that tension away, it will screw up the neck.

6. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    fwiw, I don't loosen strings if my bass goes in the cabin of the aircraft, but if it goes below in an unpressurized area, I always loosen the strings a bit.It gets cold down there and the wood contracts , the neck moves.WhenI haven't done this, I've noticed J get fret buzz when I play the bass later.Flying higher than 800 feet does affect the instrument.
    just my opinion.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Good points.