Unsung bass heroes 2

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Raman, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Krist Novoselic
    Perfect minimalist punk bass.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  2. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    Jason Newsted gets a lot of crap cause people think he was too simple but he didn't get much say in writing. Also, he was more of a "Bassist" because he locked it down and made it sound huge. He was with Metallica for 15 years. One does not simply listen to sad but true without it crushing

A. D. Fairhurst and Raman like this.
  3. Kim Jong Funk

Kim Jong Funk

Jun 15, 2014
    Illadelphia
    Robert DeLeo from STP. Bassists who pay attention realize it, but his playing is criminally underrated, and he wrote a great deal of STP's songs.

Brian Ritchie from Violent Femmes

Duff McKagan from G'N'R. Everyone knows who he is, but few actually listen to his bass parts.

LeMarquis Jefferson. Ever actually listen to the bass part to TLC's "Waterfalls?"

Davey Faragher. Listen to "Get Off This" on Cracker's album "Kerosene Hat." Very Jaco-esque funk lines.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  4. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    +1 for Brian Ritchie!

5. YES. His 1974 Ripper made some amazing things on record and live. However, recently I've heard that Kurt Cobain hated him and I'm a bit unsure what to think of Krist.

Raman likes this.
  6. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I find it a bit strange that a rumor about what a dead guy thought about his old Bassist would cause you to think anything about Novoselic, one way or the other. But that's just me and it's neither here, nor there.

As for criminally underrated players, I'd throw my vote in for Ben Sheppard of Soundgarden. Great player, with some super interesting lines.

Also, me. I'm amazing and I'm just waiting for the world to notice. ;)

Kim Jong Funk and Raman like this.
  7. Well I can't find it, but I saw a picture of a letter Kurt never sent that said that Krist and Dave were greedy and judgemental and that they were fired. It was from 1994.

8. PixelPyrus

PixelPyrus

Oct 28, 2017
    Space
    Krist is mostly your average kid teen who does stunts with his rd signature.

9. TerenceE

TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    I’d have to agree with most of these. In fact I’d say most of the 90’s “grunge” sound was bass driven. Part of why I love playing bass so much

Deleon’s lines are awesome and drive STPs huge sound.

Jesus Christ pose. Outshined. Rusty cages. Crushing bass lines. Period

Brian Ritchie is a beast! His lines are what we all know and love about the violent femmes!

Not sure if it’s rob Trujillo playing bass in suicidal tendencies early stuff but loving that poopie lately!

A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  10. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    That Cracker album is a classic, Faragher's whole body of work is quite impressive!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021