Unsure about my SR4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xxx666, Mar 22, 2011.

1. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Endorsing Artist G&L Guitars
    Hey All,

I recently bought a 97 Stingray 4 with the 3 band eq for my new originals project. So far it has been a dream to play but I am not entirely happy with the tone I'm getting from it - it sounds like the E string is compressed. I run the eq on the stingray with the bass nearly all the way up and the mid & treb @ 12 o clock - I have a Hartke 3500 & vx410 & have never experienced this with my other basses - I have experimented with different eq settings on both the bass and the amp but still not happy.... Any ideas???!!!

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    not sure what to tell you.

i've had several stingrays and you're right, the basses play great. i'm just not a fan of the tone...

3. osuok88

osuok88 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX - USA
    I am not a fan of the stingrays either, I am a P bass guy

4. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    Check how high the pickup is. If it is too high it will compress because of clipping the preamp.
    I use a graduated ruler to get the base of the e and g string the same distance from the top of the pickup poles and then maybe adjust if it doesn't sound perfect.

5. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    The tone may not be for you. You might also look at heavier gauge strings. I recently restrung my '99 with D'ad. 105-45 nickels and the E string got a lot bigger. I do miss the the ease of playing a lighter gauge string. But I like the tone better.

FWIW... I played a Stingray Classic the other day for the first time and I really liked the tone more. There are a bunch of people out there and here on TB that really prefer that original 2 band EQ circuit. I'm curious to try the John East preamp in my Stingray. I love my bass to death but I'm not above switching it up a bit at times. I've never been a one bass kind of guy anyway.

Here is the John East preamp link: BTB MMSR Bass Preamp for Music Man ® by E Pro (John East)

6. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  7. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Don't give up on her yet. Try adding some Low & Hi Mids on your amp. You may want to try out a nice set of EB Flats (Group II or III's), or D'Addario Chromes. Cut the highs on the bass....maybe cut it back to 3 o'clock.

Heads up...if you decide to try the flats I mentioned (or any that have the thread winding), remember to leave the G-string extra long, because they have a slight tendency to slip on the tunning peg.

8. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks guys... I will play around with the eq settings some more and look at changing guage.... I loved the tone when I tested it out & bought it and now I think of it I came straight home and put new strings on it - .45 - .100.... Maybe he had a heavier guage on.... The main reason I bought it was the previous player recorded all of the bands EP tracks with a 'Ray and it sounds awesome....

9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I've found myself getting a much more desirable Stingray tone (for a metal band) if I keep the bass flat, slight bump on the mids and slight cut on the treble and then on my amp give a serious bump to low mids with a slight bass cut. Gets me right into the mix without being too boomy and with only a slight cut on the highs I still have some of my zingy attack coming through.

10. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    You likely bought it with "dead" rounds. If you like the "Dead" round sound, you may like D'Addario Half-Rounds.

11. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Hmmmn.... getting very frustrated..... just spent a couple of hours mucking around with eq settings etc... I forgot to mention I put a hipshot on it..... it just seems weird to me that only the e string is sounding crap! cant work it out.... maybe I should have bought that Lakland!!!

12. Have you had it set up properly?

I have a hipshot on my 4 string SR4 and it is fine.

The only other thing I can think of is that the SR4 has a hotter signal than your previous basses and maybe clipping the input stage of the Amp and the E is most affected by that.

Just throwing some ideas out there...

13. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    Eq positions? I wouldn't put bass over 45-55% and treble seems kinda flat if you cut it a bit (30-40%).

That's what I do with my stingray while using d'addario chromes and recently a studio bass player commented on how he found it odd that my ray sounded somewhat alike to a P. Not true IMO, but it gives the lot a more middy vibe, which I love.

Sounds like you might have a bit too much bass and or treble in there.

14. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks again for the input y'all... Im going to go get a set of 45 - 105's today and chuck them on to see if it makes a difference...

15. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Try reduction instead of addition with the EQ. Start with everything on the bass at center detent. I don't think I'd like mine, either, with the bass knob all the way up.

16. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    I just checked your homepage. I notice you play through a 4x10...personally I think 4x10 push a lot of air....but aren't very audible if you're too close...dispersion. I eq my amp quite differently when I play my Fenders, and then my Sterling. BUT, the one common factor is that if I want low end I go with Low mids, and actually turn the bass to about 11 o'clock.

The Stingray tends to have somewhat of a scooped (in my opinion) sound...so you need to add some mids, whether on the bass or your amp.

17. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Just an update - I put a new set of stainless .45 - .105's on it and it is sounding huge again....

I have been using .45 - .100's for 15 years and this was the first time I have encountered this problem... I'll put it down to the "mystique" of the sting ray!

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021