Unsusal problem...need less volume.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThunderPig, Apr 11, 2003.

1. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    For years, I've been happily using a GK-800RB with a Trace 1x18 and Hartke 2x10 cabs. Recently I had to move to a smaller house with close neighbors so I need a MUCH smaller rig. I kinda like the Fender Bassman 25, and I'd just line out to my system for power. Does anyone have any comments on the Bassman 25 or can anyone suggest a small but good sounding bass amp? I'm open to any suggestions except the SWR LA series. I didn't think that was too great. Thanks guys.
  2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    bassman25 is a great little amp. so are all the bassman series. other ones you might wanna check out are the peavey minx110 and the peavey microbass. all great little practice combos. I do believe though that I've even heard of people gigging with the smaller bassman combos.
  3. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i would definitely buy the Fender Bassman 25.
    i have the Bassman 100 now and i really think that the 25 puts out an equally great and friendly tone. it doesn't really have a friendly price though when compared to other 15-30 watt combos.
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Try a Behringer BX600. Great little amp. It really gives the competitors a match. Sounded much better than the SWR LA´s and the Peavey´s I tried too. The sound is actually pretty close to the Bassman and it´s a lot cheaper. I´ve heard of reliability problems with Behringer but I´ve never had a problem.
    See if you like it.:bassist:
  5. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    why isn't the rig you have good? can't you just turn down a bit? I don't see why a smaller rig is necessary....
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i agree with pete and kill... but if you are just in the mood to buy, i'd also look into ashdown. for around the same price of the bassmen (which i have personally never really cared for) you get a lot more in my opinion... :bassist:
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if want just a cool practice amp that'll compliment the larger gig rig, try a GK M150. i also like SWR's WorkingMan 12. really nice tones. if you wanna splurge, go ahead and get EA's iAMP combo. that little 10" handles a low B like nobody's business.
  9. Just unplug your 1x18 and run the 2x10 full-range and at very low volumes. I hope you're not averse to turning the dials.
  10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah, why dont you jsut turn your current rig down, instead of having top spend more money on a rig.

If you do decided to get one, id have to go with the bassman 25. I cannot say anythnig bad about them simply because there is nothing bad about them
  11. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Aye to that!
  12. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I vote for a GK MB150. But I always vote for the MB150.
  13. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    my suggestions:

SWR WM-12, NOT THE 10!!! nice tone, volume if you like to get loud.

GK Backline 112 nice tone, cheap price, some people say there is reliability problems, but I don't know....
  14. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Those are stunning little combos - good on their own and amazing when you add the extension cab (tight, punchy and able to produce a lot of volume for such a small set up... although that's not what you're going for, of course ;) ). The main downside is the cost - you're getting more than the average practise amp sized device and so you end up paying a lot more.

However, my vote goes with the "turn down and just use the 2x10" crowd.

15. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Behringer bass v-amp / korg pandora and headphones.