1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unt Double Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by Yobassman, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Yobassman

Yobassman

Jan 2, 2012
    I'm currently in the process of preparing for my auditions. I understand that upright experience is not required for acceptance into the jazz studies program, but I was just wondering how often is a bass player with little to no upright experience accepted into the program?

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Hi,
    Thanks for your interest in UNT. Seeking clarification is always a good step. If you or anyone else that reads this has more questions about UNT, you may email me directly at lynn.seaton@unt.edu .
    Here is a paragraph from the official bass audition page
    ( Bass Auditions for Admission | UNT Division of Jazz Studies ):
    "Ability to play both acoustic and electric basses is not required for entrance into the bachelor's in jazz performance program but is part of the requisites for completing the degree. Placement into most lab bands does require ability to play upright and electric well. The greater the student's experience on both instruments upon entering the program, the easier the process will be. UNT is an upright oriented program with required classical and jazz bass lessons."

Most people that audition at UNT are upright players that play electric too. If a student plays only electric bass, is an accomplished jazz player who reads and improvises well, they will be considered for admission. If a student wants to play electric bass only, there are other programs that will be a better fit.
    I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing your audition.