untapered B-strings. Is the intonation that bad?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Danham, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    I ordered a set of D'addario chrome flats for my EDA without knowing that the B was untapered. The only reason this is a big concern is to me because an untapered B is too big too sit right in the piezo saddle.

So back to the intonation, what do people mean when they say untapered B's have terrible intonation? Do they mean that even if you move the saddle all the way back it will still be too sharp at the 12th fret?:confused:
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    in my experience, the notes don't intonate clearly on the lower strings, like the b, higher up the neck, like above the 10th fret. there are a lot of disparate harmonics in the note that's made, making the pitch somewhat indistinct and warbly.

like i said, that's my experience. i don't willingly play non-tapered strings - the dean markleys that i have played for the past 5 or 6 years have really suited me pretty well, and they are all tapered. i've also looked into some sit strings and have been very impressed with what they offer as well.
  3. The scale of a B string will also determine if it wobbles or not, meaning it vibrates so much that the intonation is hard to adjust.

The string sits in the saddle more firm when it's tapered, a non taper string will not sit snuggly in the saddle therefore it wobbles.