Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unusual bass distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mw, Aug 17, 2003.

1. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    hello all!

i'm looking to try to get a saw-type distortion. i've attached an mp3 of the exact type that i'm thinking about. if anyone can help, it would be appreciated. i have tried the boss bass overdrive (couldn't even get close with that. wrong type of pedal i guess), big muff pi (closer, but not quite. sounds great tho), and a DoD super american metal (best yet, but not THAT sound)

i've wanted to cop this sort of sound for years... but i have lacked the funds to try out a lot of pedals.

2. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    and another one

3. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    what band is that?

4. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    on a side note, my psa-1 can get very close to that sound

5. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    the band is Training for Utopia. unfortunately, they broke up a few years ago. great band. i love(d) 'em.

6. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Umm.. I am a distortion nut, and I think the unit for you is an guitar tube overdrive pedal, or rack mount... Or an older fuzz pedal, like a shin ei or a miestro... Or a dredge tone bass anglerI dig that tone, very godflesh'y...

cheers

Alex

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I can't seem to download any clips, but based on your description I would check out the ZVex Machine. Major nasty fuzz type sound, very saw like.

8. these clips are teasers.........I'm gonna check 'em out I'm feeling the music!

9. !!!:bawl: :crying: :bawl: :crying: :bawl: !!!

I checked on Kazaa-lite with no luck.....where can I find songs by them?

10. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    thanks for the replies everyone. so would something like a tubescreamer do well for it?

as far as getting the music, you can get the full length for 9.99 at amazon.com here

the one i posted clips of is out of print, according to amazon.com, but here is the link for it.

11. thanks a lot MW