1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unusual cab request

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grygrx, Dec 10, 2006.

1. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I'm currently running a Eden WT400 and Schroeder 1210 as my main rig. In addition I have a Roland DB500 Combo.

I'm thinking of ditching the DB500 because it sounds dry compared to my rig and frankly it isn't any easier to move around.

So I was thinking I would look for a second cab for practice purposes, that could handle the basement duties when combined with the Eden.

I also though, hell while I'm looking why not see if I can find something that would fit in my car.

Yeah, I'm a bass player that drives a miata.

So looking around about the only thing I found was the Phil Jones briefcase that would clearly fit, but I'm curious if there are any small quality cabs that would.

Basically one dimension (height, width, depth) needs to be at or under 10inches (which is the depth of the trunk).

Ideas?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Under 10"... who... that's small.

While it doesn't match your criteria for use with your Eden, the GK MB150 combo amp is very small and quite loud for its size.... very cool as a practice amp, and much louder than the PJB Briefcase IME. It's quite mid-present, but has lot's of good options (the 'E' version is the one to get).

Just an idea... it would probably still fit in the trunk with the nice shoulder bag.

3. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    13.75"W x 15.5"H x 8.5"D
    I'll check em out...

4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Or even just the extension cab of them. They are just as tiny, and less expensive.

5. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Ahh!
    112MBX Specifications
    IMPEDANCE: 8 Ohms
    POWER RATING: 100 Watts
    WOOFER: 1xGK-Paragon 12LB150-8, Stamped Frame, 12", 150W Low Resonance Suspension
    CONNECTORS: 1x1/4" jack
    CONSTRUCTION: 0.1" Aluminum Chassis, 18 Gauge Steel Grill, and Mic Stand Mountable
    WEIGHT: 12 lbs
    DIMENSIONS: 13.75"W x 13"H x 8.5"D

6. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Hrm Found this while surifing around. Wonder if I could get away with something like this.

LDS 4 x 6.5"
    size of a 4 space rack!

4 6.5" speakers.
    1 soft dome midrange
    1 soft dome tweeter
    350 watts
    3 speakers in front, 1 rear firing.
    LDS4x65_TN.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've played that up at LDS... it's an interesting little cab.... obviously you won't get a lot of low end, and it doesn't get very loud, but it is small!!! It's been there for quite a while... you might be able to get a deal on it.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1... that would work also. The only reason I suggested the combo is that it's not much larger then the extension cab... the whole thing would fit in the trunk... no wires to hook up, etc... but obviously it would cost more. The combo is not much bigger than the WT400!!!

9. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Any idea what they were asking for it?

Hrm... any idea how big their 2*8's are?

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I was just up there, but didn't look at the tag. They will open at noon tomorrow (Eastern time).

The cool thing about Don's LDS cabs is that they are totally custom. So, you could ask him to design a 2 x 8 cab with the depth no deeper than 10". He would then backfit the correct porting and remaining cab dimensions so that the cab would be tuned correctly. Don has done some very cool work with Eminence fine-tuning for very high power, long throw standard (ceramic) 8" drivers, and also the very light, full range neo drivers. He can also get the very nice B&C Neo drivers. He could probably make a two way neo 10" cab with a 10" depth for you also... maybe using a coax speaker to keep the size down.

They are very cool cabs, and sound good... and are relatively inexpensive given the quality components.

Ken

PS As I always say when people are interested in Don's cabs... don't let the blue baffle board scare you.... it's hardly noticable... the flash of the camera makes it look 'screaming blue'!!!!

Edit: If you go that route... make sure Don knows the 10" depth must include the protruding protective corners... it would be a bummer to get a 10" deep cab with another 1/2 inch of corners front and back that would make it too deep!

11. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Spoke w/Don at LDS sound today (nice guy). He not only didn't make fun of me for wanting to put a bass cab in a miata, he offered some real posibilities!

Possibliy a 2/3way with a 12 and a tweeter or a small 6.5 (or maybe even both. Knowing not a damn thing about cab design I nodded knowingly over the phone (I'm sure that was effective).

I guess I wasn't expecting much in the way of options, since there is nothing much like it in the regular market.

Anyway, he was super nice and I think I'll be going that direction. Thanks for the info.

12. If I lower the top and raise it again after packing, I can fit my 310 in the passenger seat, WT400, gig bag and bass in the trunk. The perfect SIMPLIFY setup!
    Love the Miatas!