Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unusual ebay bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by yesdot, May 19, 2005.

1. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I would say that it's a badly made, homemade bass.

2. :scowl: :eyebrow:

3. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    It actually has two bids.

4. Interesting without better pictures it's hard to tell...

Looks as if it's been burnt! and badly patched / hacked up...

Be interesting to see what if anything is inside it

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Looks like it was 'dipped' in boat epoxy and hung to dry. From a distance it looks like the outline of a nice Italian model Bass. The wood though looks like some cheap plain stuff as closer view.

Someone will spend 2-5 times it's value making into a workable Bass I'm sure.. I wouldn't try burning it in the fire place as the Epoxy might stink up the house.....

6. Link

Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    well,
    it looks a little like it's been mauled by a dog...
    and it looks like the sound it would produce would be equally um... "disastifying" I suppose...

expensive dog toy?

7. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Yes, truly in the realm of Shelley.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Shelley Winters, maybe.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    She's from St. Louis.

10. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    The second one is plywood. The first has a very interesting shape,but may be ply also. Check the gears.

11. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    The mutant bass just sold for $986.00. I guess someone is thinking that there is something under all of the paint.

12. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Scary. I think Mary Shelley would be frightened.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I am optimistically hopeful should I decide to sell my old Englehardt on ebay.

14. Bud Rink

Bud Rink

May 5, 2000
    NYC, USA
    Answers the question - do they have orchestras on planet Bizarro?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Older Engelhardts actually seem to go for more than new ones on Ebay. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing where an upright bass of any kind depreciates in value as long as it's quality and structurally in good shape.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - online auction = good for sellers /bad for buyers! :meh:

I've seen several documentaries about people who are addicted to buying junk off eBay - the TV cameras delight in showing their houses full of old rubbish - one crew was especially cruel as they brought in an antiques expert to one middle-aged woman's house.

She was saying - well some of this (points to vast range of tat) must be worth a bit... No - the expert was very firm in pointing out that none of it had any intrinsic value whatsover!! Although she has put herself in massive debt and paid thousands ....:meh:

Convserely there is a trend for usncrupulous people to raid "Charity Shops" where people have given their old junk to support the Charity who try to sell it - so these people go round buying up the stuff as cheaply as possible, then putting it on eBay and making big profits out of more vulnerable old women, addicted to buying junk.....:meh:

17. Link

Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    hahaha... I think you're right...

and I agree with JimmyM- good observation and from what I've seen holds true...

18. This bass was priced about right. I have one myself, though in better condition, and circa 1955.

It's a "Mariachi Strolling Bass", made in Mexico, solid wood, EXTREMELY lightweight, with a top so thin that they don't cut the F-holes all the way through, to add strength.

Notice that the top and bottom of each F-hole.

It is a roundback bass, but the swells in the top and back are VERY shallow, nearly non-existant.

Mine came with a non-adjustable wooden endpin, which looked more like a leg off a milking stool than an endpin. When I replaced it, I had to shim the new endpin collar with leather, as the wooden endpin was considerably larger in diameter.

This seller sure seems to have a lot of basses to sell, for someone professes so loudly to nothing about basses...

That generally indicates that they have a lot of things they don't want to tell you, and are hiding behind professed ignorance.

Also, every thing he sells is "Full Size", including this bass.

To the best of my knowledge, all Mariachi Strolling Basses are all half-size models... part of the plan for keeping them lightweight so the players can "stroll" with the rest of the Mariachi musicians, as they play for tips.