Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unusual F holes

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Eric_J, Aug 27, 2005.

1. I played a bass that looked exactly like that a Lemur the other day. I thought it was really cool, nice sound and everything. Course I thought about getting the bass just because of the badass F holes. The I realized that I needed to be more mature/professional :bassist:

2. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Steve Koscica was selling a bass with an F-hole design like that a few years ago. I think he said it was Viennese, about 150-200 years old.

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah the bass I got infatuated with among the basses that Roberstons brought to Austin a couple of years ago looked much like Ken's link.

If the dough was in hand I would have picked it up for the f-holes alone...but it sounded great and was very comfortable to play also.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Them's some interesting holes!!

!!!!!!Sorry ahead of time for the 'JACK!!!!!

Hey Ken,

With your vast knowledge, study and obvious passion for the double bass and it's design would you ever consider carving one from scratch? Not for sale, per say, but just for the experience? I would love to follow it's progress here, man what a great thread that would be.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have never played a new Bass that feels and sounds like a 200 year old Bass. So, I will continue to hunt down these old Basses, fix 'em up and play them with a smile.. Oh, and with an empty wallet as well..lol

I have no plans to make a Double Bass, now or in the future. I have played way too many old ones to want to even try. That's just my thing!

6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Sweet there's even a trapdoor to stash snacks and smokes! :hyper:

7. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    That five string busetto at the top is bitchin'. Paul how do these basses sound since they are located in your neighborhood?

az

8. Bob and I had a partnership: Ross/Warburton Double Basses. If you'll notice, you'll see my name on a couple. Bob did all the work, I did some design and final set-up. Just as we were getting of the ground, my wife came down with ovarian cancer. I had to give it up to be her care-giver. I am still reeling from the loss. She passed about three years ago.
    Anyway, these basses are excellent visually and musically!