Unusual Factors Affecting A Bass's Tone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by danqi, Mar 9, 2002.

1. danqi

May 21, 2001
    What do you think are factors that influence a bass's sound that one would usually not think of or expect to do so?

Since I had first installed my straplocks on my Yamaha the screws have always been loosening up to the extend of falling out. This got worse over time. So now I have finally fixed them by putting some wood substitute glue on them and srewing them back in. They have not loosened again since then.
    But I have also noticed that now my bass sounds a little tighter and more mellow. Probably I am just imagining this but it almost seems like the sound has improved. Could it be that because of the tighter connection with the strap and indirectly with my body the bass has gained some resonance-material?
    Can you think of other stuff like that that affect the sound?
    Do you think a bass sounds audibly different when played by different persons because of thei different statues? Does a bigger person for example sound more mellow?:eek: :cool:
  2. danqi

May 21, 2001
    Well, this one's been a flop for sure.:(
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Well, the acoustical properties of wood are markedly different from those of people. A person is made up of a whole bunch of different substances and will thus not have the same resonant frequency as wood.

The only way I can think of in which a bigger person might have a different sound is if they had fatter fingers to pluck with. :cool:

I don't know how a tighter strap connection could change tone... Perhaps the pros in Luthier's Corner might know?
  4. When I installed a bridge cover on my P bass, it didn't affect the tone, but the sustain now lasts forever. Adding mass will affect the tone, for example, a heavier bridge, or ultra lite tuners. Take away mass, the sound has less to resonate through, sharpening the tone. More mass with deepen the tone.
  5. ronbass

Apr 25, 2001
    I think that a bass can sound very different when played by different people. It's all in the hands.
  6. danqi

May 21, 2001
    That's for sure. I think there have also been several long threads about this.
    What I was targeting was what ChaosGwar said. With a person of bigger mass the sound has more to resonate through. Well, maybe if the person would hold it really tight to their chest or stomach.:cool: