1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unusual Fret Buzz Issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Mar 31, 2009.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    So... when i play my MM SUB, i get a whole lot of fret buzz on the 7th fret of my d string (the a). It sounds like my strings are way too low, the buzz overpowers and the note loses its punch. But the weird thing is, everywhere else on my bass its fine. Ive played the 6th and 8th fret on the d string as well as 7th fret on the other strings and its fine.

I play with my action pretty low and so i always get a bit of fret buzz. So i dont know if ive always had this problem and never noticed it or its a new problem :confused:

Help?

PS: I didnt know where to put this thread

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Try raising the action on your D string and see if that helps the problem.

3. I noticed on my old Ibanez that my 9th fret sat higher then the rest just ever so slightly. I noticed this when checking the arc in the neck so I coudl get my action right. I had to compensate and give it a bit more action to overcome it. Since then I have replaced the bass and turned it into my project. I filed the fret down sligtly and put the action where it was in the beginning and it went away. then I said screw these frets and grabbed a butter knife and took them out. a few sandings later i had a pretty decent sounding fretless. No more buzz!

4. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Maybe it's a fret issue. If you can't find a way to fix the problem...

...wait for it...

...Take it to a pro. :hyper:

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Have you tried changing strings?