1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unusual fret wear with DR High Beams or Colored Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joeman583, Apr 30, 2006.

1. joeman583

joeman583

Apr 8, 2006
    Hey I know that DR's High Beams and Colored strings are very popular. Has anyone had any unusual fret wear with either of these strings?:)

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    None with elixirs...

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I haven't noticed any fret wear at all, much less "unusual" fret wear.

4. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    nope

5. after a time there will be more fret wear with steel strings than nickel strings. this is simply due to steel being a harder material than nickel. i view frets like i do brakes on a car. how hard you use and abuse them will also make a difference in how fast they wear and when you have to replace them. how much fret wear you get will also depend on your fret material. Over the short run, you wont see much of an effect, but over the course of years, it could speed up a fret replacement by as much as 10 or 20% IMO and IME. to call this unusual would be rather vague. i dont think the effect is great enough to not use steel or coated strings for this single reason. if you like the tone you get with a string, use it.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I think DR Hi Beams are marketed as a SS string that actually produces less fretwear than most SS string. I'm not sure if that's 'marketing hype' or reality... although they do feel 'smoother' on the fingers than other SS roundwound strings I've used. I use them on most of my basses and haven't noticed anything strange.

There might be something to it, since they do behave differently than any other SS roundwound I've ever used (they stretch much less when new and stay bright much longer than any other I've used).

7. They are Stainless Steel compressed wound that are easy on the frets according to all the posts I have read.
    I have them on my Fender 51 P RI and really like them so far.