Unusual intonation problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Feb 15, 2006.

1. The guy I have set up my bass called me today with something I just cannot understand. I asked him to put on fender flats on my Reverend 4 string bass. He said that the E string might have intonation problems because of the way it is sitting off the bridge--something he said has to do with the string wrapping.

I just could not picture why this could be a problem. He said he could razer blade the string covering a bit to thin it (that's not really what he said but something like that) and my mind was just boggled.

Any idea what might be the problem here? I don't know the guy personally yet, but I figured anyone who works for a music store to set up basses has the knowledge to do it.

The last set up he did for me he said he had to cut a piece of the bridge screw down. I didn't know what he meant there either, but when I got the bass, she was fine.

Does it make any sense that the fender flats E string wouldn't conform well to my bass?

Sounds odd.
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    What kind of bass is it?

If you look on some basses, the strings thin out when they reach the bridge. I'll post a pic soon.

The thinner it is at the bridge, the better it settles. It's really nothing to worry about. The intonation will be fine, it's just that with the thinning, the intonation would be BETTER.

EDIT: Here's what I'm talking about.