1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unusual J5 pup size: 3.69" x .72" any ideas?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bongomania, Mar 30, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I recently picked up an older Jackson 5-string PJ bass, and the P is phenomenal but the J is not. I thought I'd easily pop in a replacement J, but so far I haven't found any that are the same size. This one is:
    length 3.69" ; 3 11/16" ; 94 mm
    width .72" ; 23/32" ; 18.5 mm
    screw spacing ctr-ctr 1.56" ; 1 9/16" ; 40 mm

Do you happen to know any like that, or do you know of any pickup makers who could custom build one in that size? I asked Nordstrand, and they don't do direct sales to the general public.

Thx!

2. maybe this one?

[​IMG]

3. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    That's pretty close! Which brand/model is it?

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Looks pretty close to standard bridge-length J dimensions that have been in use for decades. See Q-Tuner BS drawing or Bartolini dimensions pdf - and maybe DiMarzio dimensions are still up on their site too.

EDIT: I've noticed that slight variations between case manufactuers seem to be common, and if a route was done especially tight for one that was undersized compared to some other that you might want to replace the old one with, that it means a little enlarging of the route, often just a little sanding even.

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Thanks!

Well, I posted this thread after spending a fair bit of time poring over Bart, DiMarzio, and all the other major manufacturer's dimension pages, and didn't see anything that was quite the same size. Edit: I should specify that I meant "with no routing"; I realize that "close" is "close enough" for someone who doesn't mind doing some routing. A little sanding I could deal with though.

Which actually rules out the Duncan there too... looks like 3.74" is the standard. Perhaps I just have to suck it up and have someone do a clean rout/sand for the 3.74".

6. ur dimensions are from the pup right? the routed space it's a bit bigger ( a lil bit , just enough to fit the duncan... )

7. hey, what's the string spacing on ur Jackson? (bridge)

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    17 mm. That's part of why the double-blade design appealed to me, since I thought it might be difficult to find a J5 that fit the external dimensions and had the right spacing.

9. SD's site says that
    that's means, 18,5mm
    right?

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Q-Tuner BS long: 18.3 mm x 94.7 mm, 40 mm screw spacing.

Bart Jazz: 19 mm x 95 mm, 40 mm screw spacing.

I've had a few J pickups in and out of my basses, and all the long ones have fit. So while the manufacturers may have .n mm diff in their dimensions (who knows how accurate some of them even are, they may be rounded-off conversions?), they've all fit.

Can't say we are so lucky with what Fender has done at times to screw this up in recent years - both with American Standard form factors, and for awhile with the Squiers and cheaper Fender-branded imports. But those were the "long" J ear spacings and seemed like all small vaiances in width and length of pickup were easily accomodated.

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Cool, good to know.

12. very little difference with the bridge one!

[​IMG]

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I disagree completely, sorry. Edit: At least it looks very different on paper, to me. I will examine the physical measurements against the routs in my bass when I get home later tonight. Maybe you're right.

Edit again: Nope! Won't fit. The .07" difference of the screw ear centers is actually enough to make them not fit without modification, and the gaps left by the .72" difference in overall length (compared against my existing pickup) would look ugly IMO.

If I'm going to do any sanding at all, it will only be to make a more standard bridge pup fit, not a neck one. This is a bass where the looks matter to me.

14. u're right. i post that at 3:03 am ( local time ) so.... i wasn't 100% awake :D .