Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unusual looking bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by red-hot-bassist, Sep 28, 2004.

1. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    hey all,

having too much time on my hands - yet again - i have spotted this slightly crazy looking bass on ebay

i have never seen a bass with this style electronic sliders on it before

im reckoning the bass isnt too good at all due to the price but has anyone ever encountered a bass with this style of electronics in it before?

if so how easy do you reckon they would be to upgrade?

any info on this bass and its bits would be greatly appreciated as my mike dirnt bass is now goana take around 8 weeks to arrive :crying: and i need something to satisfy my urge to consume til then

cheers chooks :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3751115895&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

Lins

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    It has normal Tone knobs, etc, and what looks like just big single coils. There are several things the switches cuold be, Phase switches, as on a Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster guitar. They could be On off switches for each pickup. One could be a series/parallel switch, and one a pickup selecter.

All in all, they are not anything that cant be wired into any set of passive electronics. You could replace everthing except them, and just wire them back in the way they were. Throwing in active pickups while retaining the switches would be much more difficult, but i would assume you could work it out.

You could also put in a new set of electronics, leave the switches there, but dont wire them to anything. Then you would retain the looks, but get your new electronics.

How sure are you it needs new electronics?

3. I think it looks cool

4. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    im not sure that it will, but im guess as bang for the buck that the tone will not be immense and so a little pick up upgrade might make it much more playable and still look pretty cool.

every heard of any bass manufacturers who have ever included the sliders?

Lins

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I reckon it's probably a pretty cheap piece of work. It reminds me of a couple of no-name guitars we had at school, which were 'old junk' back in the eighties.

My guess is that the sliders are to do with the volume of the two pickups. Of course, they might actually be switches instead of sliders. Also you might find that it is hard to set the intonation and it might well be a short scale instrument.

I could be wrong, and it might be a classic, but I wouldn't want to spend much more than the present price without more definite info.

Wulf

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I wonder if it's in playable condition (or if it was ever in playable condition).

It reminds me of those wacky retro basses way back when with all them gizmos and gadgetry. "Ooh, what does THIS switch do?" and all.

7. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    yeah isnt 80's technology wonderfull!!

well if it stays around the current price ill prob get it and try and work on it to play nice

ill let you guys know anyway!!

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    For less than $80... its worth a shot. Kinda remind me of a Teisco I had while in junior high.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's a cheap import instrument, probably of Japanese origin from the late 60s or early 70s. Many such beasts had decals indicating "steel reinforced neck" (as mentioned in description).

it's definitely switches (note it says so in the description folks!), probably on/off for the pickups. This sort of wiring was common on budget instruments in the 1960s because they were cheaper than toggles, even Fender and Gibson used them.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

EKO, Vox, Teisco, Del Rey, Silvertone, Hofner, St George, Hagstrom, Welson, Guyatone... I could go on for days. Some decent, but mostly cheap sixties junk.