Unusual need for a 2nd string guide on the headstock

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mrpackerguy, Aug 9, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Before I install a 2nd string guide on the headstock, let me briefly explain the problem. I just traded for a fretless USA Fender Jazz Deluxe. I noticed that the portion of the A string tuner sticking up above the headstock is noticably taller than the other 4.

The result is that the A string strung on that tuner causes the string to ride up to the top of the tuner, resulting in it coming straight off the nut to the tuner and causing a bizarre string buzzing at the nut rather than the string angling down from the nut on the headstock and wrapping itself toward the bottom portion of the tuner. (trying to be clear)

The string guide for the G and D strings causes those strings to angle sharply down on the headstock once they are past the nut.

I interchanged the G string and A string tuners and that has helped to bring the A string angle on the headstock lower, reducing greatly the nut buzz.

Why would one tuner be manufactured taller than the others?

I think a 2nd string guide catching the A and D strings would work in that it would totally solve the problem, but am I unnecessarily disfiguring the headstock?
  2. Are you saying that as you wind the string on each wrap gets higher or that somehow the whole wrapping gets moved up the post?

I can't see any reason for one tuner being taller.
  3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    A photo would be great....t
  4. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Yep. Weird. I actually removed the "tall" A string tuner and the G string tuner and there's no question about it, the A string tuner is taller and longer.
  5. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'm heading out of town momentarily. Back on Friday. Will try and post a picture then.
  6. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Ahhhhhhh! excuse my fellow Wisconsinite- sometimes being a packer fan has an adverse effect on... um... thinking skills.;) :D
  7. swap your A-string tuner with your G-string tuner...

problem solved...

You're welcome.
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You'd expect an aussie to be practical! :D

Obviously, the A tuner has been replaced with another with higher pole. However, I fail to see why the string would work its way up to the top of the pole. I always make sure it works its way down! And, if there is a string angle problem, I use so much of the string to wind up, that the final wrap gets low enough. Also a practical solution, not recommended by string makers.

Swap the tuners, or get a new for the A. String retainers only adds fuzz, like harder to change strings, stepwise tuning due to friction, etc.