Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unusual port question for you techies!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Does it matter at all what size hole you cut in a front bass drum skin?

If it does, does anyone know how to calculate what size hole to cut?

Thanks!!

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I thought this was a bassplayer forum.....:bassist:

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    :oops: Technicalities! ;)

4. It depends on if you are converting it to a doghouse or cat lair.:D ;)

Sorry - couldn't resist

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    :D That's okay. It's a good point though, I better put some kittie litter in there just in case. :( ;)

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I didn't think it mattered. But if it does, I know that some popular pre-cut sizes for a 22" head are 4.25" and 7". I've even seen some from the factory with 10" holes. Hope this helps. :)

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Gabu, why is this in amps?:confused:

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Good catch.

Moved to DB Rosin............

:D

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    :D Just because I am targeting the cabinet makers and cabinet techies as a semi-related field.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well. . .I don't really know. HOw's that? :)

It's not really like a speaker, because the outside skin flexes - I guess like a giant passive radiator?. Cutting a hole will certainly change the resonance and damping of the drum, but I'm not sure how.

I think you'll have to ask some drummers, and be prepared to deal with lots of vague adjectives like "punch", "growl", and "snap". Oh wait, that's what we say. ;)

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It is kind of weird because now there is no electricity in this puzzle. It's just a 22" surface that vibrates in a 22"x16" cylinder with a second vibrating surface on the opposite side. All of it's energy is gained by the striking of the kick drum hammer on it.

I am guessing that it would have somethings in common with a speaker box, but I have no idea what.

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, the electricity just acts as the pedal/hammer equivalent - send a big pulse (like, hmm, a recorded bass drum hit :) ) to a speaker, and it has pretty much the same effect - it "hits" the cone.

The drum skin is kind of like a speaker, though different because it only moves by stretching, whereas a speaker is designed to have a certain range of smooth "travel". The whole shebang will still resonate, though in a rougher (and less harmonic) manner than a speaker.

13. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I always thought the main purpose of the hole was for mic placement.

Another purpose might be to make the drum less resonant. I don't think the diameter is as critical as that of a ported speaker cabinet, although too large a hole would probably be the same as having no front head on the drum.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I always thought the size of the hole affected the sound through the mic than the acoustic sound. The air leaves the drum faster if the hole is smaller (I'm getting into Mach territory now), thus affecting the way the Mic picks it up.

When I've miced up drum kits, I've found the overall sound will be affected more by the tuning of the drum than the size of the hole. Also experiment with Mic placement, oh and use a decent kick drum Mic (a SM58 will sound pretty average).

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    What would you consider a decent kick drum mic, that won't brake the bank?

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm not fussy about brands. The PA gigs I do are walk-ins so the mics are supplied.

Provided it was designed for Kick you should be OK. My point was to not use a vocal mic for kick. It doesn't tackle the low frequencies all that well.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    click heyah

This is the one I've always used, of course, it's the one I've always been given. ;) Occasionally a band I did sound for would bring their own, but I couldn't tell that much of a difference, even if it was a "nicer" microphone.

Very nice mic. Not the most durable kick mic ever, in terms of construction, but we never treated our gear very well, either, so take that for what it's worth.

We experimented with 58s and 57s, and found the specialty kick mic to sound approximately 14.6 billion times better. To each their own, though. I think you can get a Shure package with that kick mic, and some clip-ons. We never used those; we usually just set up some 57s.

18. From my experience, the size of the hole and the placement of it have a direct bearing on the type of sound you want to get from it. A 7" hole about 4" from the rim, at around 4 o'clock looking from the front, seems to be very popular.

19. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I like the Shure PG series. Not the absolute greatest, but good for the $$. I like 'em. Try the PG52 if you can.

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Should probably check out the senheiser range. They' basically Shure Beta copies but much cheaper. I've used the vocal mics, and the drum mics (the small clip-ons), the wireless mics, and the wireless in-ears - and they've been great for the price. I've never tried their Kick mic but it would be worth checking out.

All time Favourite kick mic = Shure Beta 91. But they're not cheap and they're not an egg shape so expect to have to justify yourself every time you use it.