1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unusual question for the tube guru's:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluerimedeyes, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Yes, I know how to use the 'search' function. However, I'm having trouble finding anything to help with this, as it is a little odd, and not actually bass related. Here goes:

A friend of my dad's recently moved back to upstate ny from florida. With him, he brought a gift for my dad: an old Stromberg-Carlson console radio, w/ turntable. Not sure of the year or model, but I know that the turntable flips down into the console, like those old sewing machines, or the old type-writer desks. This thing even has some of the original manuals and pamphlets with it! Beatiful shape. That said, I have been told that it worked fine before being hauled from florida to ny, but it now does not produce sound from either the turntable nor the radio- sooooo, hoping someone may know 1) what can be looked at as possible causes
    or 2) a good repair tech near rochester, ny.
    I know that according to my dad, the tubes all light up, the filaments do not appear to be broken, and there is no visible broken/loose wires, soldering, etc. I am in California, so will not have access to check this out myself, nor do I have the knowledge. :help:

Also, I am looking for old radio forums, etc. as I do understand that I would get a more specific answer there, however I thought I would give it a swing here, as I already recognize some of the names around here.

Thanks, and sorry for the long winded-ness.

2. Does it make any sound at all?

3. thanks for the links, and psb- I will try to call my dad tomorrow and ask him if it makes any noise, IIRC, it makes none at all, but I'm not sure.

Thanks again

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I rescued my parents' old console radio from my brother, who had been using it as a table in his basement for 10 years. Same story, it once worked but now didn't. Lights, but no sound besides a slight hum. I took it to a guy who repairs amps and is into HAM radios, and as it turned out its biggest problem was ...it had been used as a table for 10 years in somebody's basement. A thorough cleaning and a new set of tubes and it was fine.