Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unusual Trio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lonote49, Apr 30, 2003.

1. On Monday night, my band participated in an annual event in Minneapolis called the "Blues Harmonica Extravaganza." We were the second act and I played my Reverend Rumblefish. I am accustomed to being besieged by curious people asking about it but I definitely was upstaged by the next 2 bass players who played, respectively, a Turner Electroline fretless 5-string and an Ampeg Baby Bass. Normally, all you see at this event is Fenders and the occasional Peavey or Stingray so the three of us were a little oasis of nonconformity. It was cool to see something different!

2. You forgot the occasional double bass. :) I hope we never see a blues bassist playing a 12-string run in stereo through a distorted Marshall and a SVT with a 8x10! Blues Metal!?!? :eek:

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    ombudsman,

There is a guy who attends our local blues jam that regularly shows up with 6, 8 and 12 string basses.

He plays very well and really can do interesting things in a blues context but of course all the blues nazis hate to see him get up.

4. Really? I'd like to hear that. Does he play traditionnal blues or modern blues? By the way, it was just a stoopid thought that crossed my mind, and I'm no Nazi of any kind, I swear!!! :)

5. There's a guy who shows up at the local blues jams with a custom 5 string Steinberger cello. We are a "traditional" Chicago/West Coast band but he's always welcome to sit in at our gigs.

6. There is a guy who attends our local blues jam that regularly shows up with 6, 8 and 12 string basses.
    He plays very well and really can do interesting things in a blues context but of course all the blues nazis hate to see him get up.

That's so typical! You run into the same thing in country music, if you use anything other than a P-bass or something else they are familiar with then they just don't get it.

The blues guys are going to absolutely hate me. I'm working on a CD right now that is going to be very much Johnny Winter style blues, all played using my 12-string bass. It gives a completely new sound to the music, and the guitarist I'm working with really loves it. It's always fun to give the "traditionalists" something new to think about!