Unusual "Violin"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter196, Jul 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hi
    Not a bass question... but...
    Can you help me identify this rather unusual "violin" ... My violin playing friend have no idea. it's totally flat, no sound post and it's longer than standard 4/4 fiddle. Made of some sort of hard wood. The standard violin or viola bridge do not fit, as if the bridge has to be much higher if it were to be placed between the f-hole notches.
    The tuners seem to be first grade, very high resolution and very smooth. It seems it's was put together from a kit of sort with a very thick clear coat, probably polyurethane. Any idea what this is, was, or might have been?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    zontar and OldDog52 like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Hello. That is indeed an unusual violin.

HG1180 likes this.
  3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    It almost looks like a very small 'cello, but that neck is extremely short. And the body is long for a violin - it looks like it would be difficult to play using the standard under-the-chin position. Interesting, at any rate!

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well first, that's kind of a "homemade" instrument by someone who maybe built guitars. The tailpiece looks kinda flat with the strings all in the same plane, so I'm wondering if the fingerboard is flat or with a low profile radius. The tuners are stock guitar type, pretty contemporary looking.
    Have you done any image searches for "violin kit"? That might be a place to start. Other than that, it might be the product of an instrument making workshop at a folk music school or something...

LBS-bass and J_Bass like this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    A ukuolin maybe, or a violele?

zontar and HG1180 like this.
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  7. Yeah that looks like a one-off proof of concept or something, though in fairness it looks like it could be somebody's attempt at something renaissance or pre-renaissance-esque

8. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    My thoughts: This may be intended more as a fiddle than as a violin.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I love how the lowest string goes under the fingerboard. Special playing technique required for this instrument, Shirley.

Art school project, perhaps?

pie_man_25 and nbsipics like this.
  10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I've seen a celloist bow the outer two strings together, by placing the bow under the strings. i'd love to see someone do the hook-lowest-string-under-fingerboard thing on the fly, just to, I dunno, do a mean triple stop with the other three? OTOH, virtuoso literature for the instrument was so well-developed by the mid-18-huns that I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't already been done...

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That's because there's no bridge.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  12. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Er, that was a joke, son... ;)

13. KenB

KenB

Jul 15, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Someone’s attempt at making a fiddle, with no idea of how one is traditionally made. The “Roadshow” would call it something like “folk art”.

I wonder how long that leather-lace tailgut would last against the tension of the steel strings tuned to pitch?!? BAM!!!

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    I have to stay alert, or I miss these things....

15. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    No worries, Ed. My humor is always misunderstood! :D

16. Cornerless or guitar shaped violins are uncommon but not unheard of. Lots of them came out of Germany between 1880-1950 or so and are generally affordable ($500-2000). Some of the Chinese eBay dealers still make them, I have one and it's actually quite nice.

That's definitely a home 'project' type build. It might sound pretty neat. That type of fiddle will often sound kind of boxy or mid forward with a lot of nasally high end. They work well for renaissance fair type tones.

Lots of unusual violins shown here:
    Curious violins

HaphAsSard likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021