1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unveiling III: Fender Japan JB62 "All-Black"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Malak the Mad, May 12, 2015.

1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Greetings All!

Well, this is a first for me. Obviously, it's not my first "Unveiling" thread, but it is the first time I've had the opportunity to receive, unbox, photograph and give a bass a proper shakedown trial on the day it arrived. This "New Bass Day" is also made extra-special as it's the only one I've ever ordered from abroad.

Pics first, then specs & reviews, so brace yourself for the "OOH SHINY"!

Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, without any further ado, I give you the Limited Edition Fender Japan JB62 "All Black"! :cool:

JB62-All%20Black%2001_zpswalewulf.

JB62-All%20Black%2002_zpsgkyv5rvy.

JB62-All%20Black%2003_zps1ai5ishy.

JB62-All%20Black%2004_zpssr9ccj17.

JB62-All%20Black%2005_zpsa7o1upd5.

JB62-All%20Black%2006_zps611zrr9j.

JB62-All%20Black%2007_zpss9mofyqp.

JB62-All%20Black%2008_zpsrymhlvyz.

JB62-All%20Black%2009_zpsrwa7rsgf.

JB62-All%20Black%2011_zpsprfxbeld.

JB62-All%20Black%2012_zpswdi3hrpc.

JB62-All%20Black%2013_zpsirlmf4ii.

2. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    WOW! All black is right!

That thing looks really slick!

Congrats on the purchase man! I know you have been anxiously awaiting its arrival. Glad it arrived in perfect condition.

How does it play? How was the out of the box setup?

3. Congrats Malak!

VERY NICE!

Leave it to Fender Japan - wow that sucker is mean. So simple and beautiful. Love the standard jazz bass knobs with no chrome cover.

Reminds me of the first big "name brand" bass I ever had in 1966 - a Gibson EB-0. It was completely trashed and I got it for $50. It had big chips out of the body, initials carved into it - stickers everywhere, covered with gunk and junk. My dad had a body shop and he stripped that sucker, patched it and filled it and sanded it baby butt smooth, and then sprayed it - neck and all - jet black gloss with several coats of clear. I loved that bass....

The older I get the simpler I want....

I wish they offered this in medium scale - might have to put one of these together myself.....

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Oooof. Dibs if you ever sell it.

4stringmachinepete and pacojas like this.
  5. Malak the Mad

"…and now, it's Story Time, kiddies." :***:

Once I heard Fender Japan's time upon this Earth was coming to a close, I figured (correctly, as it seems) that I'd better grab something "memorable" from them. Ishibashi's U-Box (their used database) had a good reputation for working with people outside of Japan, so I started poking around. Initially, I enquired about a non-export Aerodyne (Dolphin Grey), but it'd already been sold. In the long-run, I'm glad it did. I spotted this lovely creature, inquired about it and ultimately, bit the bullet and pounced. Oh, and for the record, the sucker only took nine days to land on my doorstep!

(Also for the record…Mad Love for Johan at Ishibashi! Great guy to work with!! :thumbsup:)

Speaking of "landing on my doorstep", that was a bit of an adventure in of itself. I didn't hear the mail carrier at the door this morning, but instead found the "attempted delivery notice". I called the Post Office, talked to a very friendly employee who really wanted to help me, but it sounded like I'd either have to wait a couple of days (I travel for work), either for another deliver attempt or to pick it up at the local Post Office.

Rather than become a fidgety wretch until the weekend, I decided to take matters into my own hands. The answer…a hunting party! :nailbiting: I threw on some shoes, pulled my bicycle out of the garage and set-off to see if the carrier was still in the neighborhood. After all, it'd only been half-an-hour since he tried to drop it off. Some Japanese Luck-God must've been watching over the 'sitch, as the guy was just dropping off mail at the house across the street. I hailed him down, told him who I was with a "Sorry I missed you before!". He told me he'd be back in five minutes, which gave me time to stow my bike and grab my ID.

One signature later and all was right with the World! :smug:

Then it was all boxcutter-slashy-slashy, camera-clicky-clicky and the usual inspection for any damage.

One point of interest was the gig bag. The Ishibashi listing said it came with one, and I was expecting some garden-variety bag. Instead, I found something I've never heard of…an extremely well-made and durable bag by some company called "Under Cover" based in the U.S. of A.! Very surprising!

Under%20Cover%20Bass%20Case_zps5mcpxmss.

I'm curious if anyone has one, or has heard of them. Their website seems to be locked onto their homepage for "updates". But anyway…Inspection Time!

The listing's pics showed some small dents in the finish, but nothing major. No misrepresentation there…there are some small dings here and there, plus some odd wear between the pickups. (pics 2 & 7) But beyond that, it's practically pristine. Nothing has broken through the finish enough to expose any wood. It's as if it'd been hanging on the wall of a music store for the past eight years and had only suffered minor bumps and bruises.

Oh, speaking of "the past eight years"…PRODUCT DATING!

Figuring out the date of this particular model was a bit of a challenge. It's a "T08XXXX" serial number with a "Made In Japan" designation. But according to several sources, it could either be from 1994-1995 or somewhere in the murky range of 2007-2010. But, with a bit of "outside the box" thinking, I nailed it, and I have the awesome peeps at Archive.org to thank for it!

Sifting through many years of Fender Japan sites, I finally pegged it down to it being a 2008 Limited Edition Jazz bass. With that in mind, I'm really glad that Aerodyne had sold. Besides, I already have a non-export 'Dyne, as well as an export edition, so this one still stands out proudly in that crowd. Here's the specs from the archived site page.
    • BODY: BASSWOOD
    • NECK: MAPLE OVAL TYPE, 432 SCALE
    • FRETBOARD: ROSEWOOD (IVORY BINDING), 184R, 20F
    • NUT WIDTH: 38mm
    • PICKUPS: JB HOTROD x 2
    • CONTROLS & SWITCH: 2VOL, 1TONE
    • BRIDGE: VINTAGE
    • COLOR: BLK  (オールブラック)
    So, to put it in 'Merican-terms, it's a 34" long-scale, 20 frets, 7.25" vintage-style fretboard radius (a big winner for me, personally!), 1.5" Jazz nut-width…basically, it's a standard Jazz bass with some vintage touches. What intrigues me are the "HOTROD" pickups. For those "in the know", take a look at last picture. Is it me or are those pole-pieces a little chunkier than normal? I'd love to know more, especially as I was thinking about dropping in a set of Fender Super 55 split-coils. Now? Not so much anymore. Which is an only-slightly-clumsy segue to…

…SOUND & TONE! :hyper:

Lemme tell ya folks, this bass sounds exactly like a great Jazz bass should…growly, snarly and yet, versatile. The controls do not slouch when it comes to the variation of tone and volume they offer. I'll still need to sit down with it longer to fully-realise it's full potential, but either way…this puppy kicks some serious sonic ass!! :bassist:

And finally…ERGONOMICS!

To say "it's an absolute treat!" is an understatement. Some of you already know of my obsession fondness for curvier fretboards. It's a big reason why I love Fender Japan's basses. They've embraced that vintage touch that is a rarity on this side of the pond. Another point in this bass' favor is it's weight…seven pounds, seven ounces! I mean, holy crap that's light! It's easily the lightest bass I own, beating out my re-tooled Projekt Blue by seventeen ounces. (she gained a half-a-pound when I added an Aerodyne neck)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    JIO, R&B, jamzcl and 6 others like this.
  6. Malak the Mad

Say, that sounds really, really familiar. Hmm…

Oh, on an unrelated note, how's that Jazz Bass Special's neck working out for you? :D

Seriously though, thanks Mon Capitaine! I'm very proud of her…how she feels, sounds and even the story of how she came to be mine. I appreciate the feedback.

kkaarrll likes this.
  7. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That is awesome! Congrats! :cool::bassist:

Malak the Mad likes this.
  8. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    She's a keeper. Beautiful in every way. I to am in love with a Jazz Bass. They will never break your heart. Love her and she will always be true.

9. Sweet, close to a Fender they made in the 80's. Very rare model I dont think they sent them out of Japan but they looked nearly identical.

I love a guardless Fender

10. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    ok - I want that!

As a 1962 baby I think it only right... :)
    if you dont mind me asking you, what was the price in Yen so I can get an idea of the Aussie $ price ????

11. Malak the Mad

I forgot to mention the hardware in the original post. It may not show too well in the pics, but the tuners, bridge and strap locks appear to be the same smoked chrome that F.J. uses for the Aerodynes. A très classe touch, I must say. :cool:

12. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    That's a nice piece of gear, well done. My experiences with Ishi have echoed yours, great service. While it's sad to see Fender Japan go, the u-box will remain a great resource for exotic Japanese goodness.

13. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Very nice score. At first I thought it was a Boxer Jazz from the 80s, but it's clearly a special model that I had no clue even existed. The all black with the smoked Gotoh hardware is nice indeed.

It would look super nice displayed between my all black JBS and PB555, but I'm glad it's in the hands of another FJ fan who will take good care. Congrats!

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's working out well, but if I like that boxer P (on the UPS truck right now), the PJ is gonna have to go.

Really though, dibs if the day ever comes.

15. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Oh....Mah...Gawd!

You can literally see how smooth that thing plays. What I like about the Japanese Fenders is their finish. They are so smooth to the touch, so much more than other Fenders or anything else in that price range. Add to it the light weight and incredible sound....they are just remarkable instruments.

Congratulations!

16. Fabian_Aryo

Fabian_Aryo

Mar 24, 2014
    Port Of Spain
    NBD of the Week
    btw
    how's that neck feel, looks a bit sticky.

17. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    4_2 NCC SpinalTap Black_Album.

18. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    I normally don't like black basses or cars. This is the exception.

I think it needs these strings, though...
    [​IMG]

tbz likes this.
  19. Man! That's just awesome! :) Congrats! Keep that polishing cloth handy. ;) And why is Fender Japan going away?
    Take care,
    Brent

20. Blue Moose

Blue Moose

Oct 8, 2009
    Sweet. In a very wicked kind of way;)