1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unveiling V: "The Blue Flame"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Malak the Mad, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Greetings, All! Malak the Mad here with his newest parts-bass "projekt". However, unlike my most-favorite of instruments, "Projekt Blue", I curated and assembled this one specifically to release unto the wilderness upon completion. Basically, I wanted to put together something rather unique and hopefully "Cool As All-Hell" to share with anyone interested.

So, without any further ado, I give you "The Blue Flame"!! :cool:

Blue Flame 00.jpg
    View attachment 2768515
    View attachment 2768517
    View attachment 2768518
    View attachment 2768519

Here are all the ingredients that went into it;
    • EZ Wave Jazz Bass Body - Transparent Blue, Alder & Flame Maple Top
    • Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass Neck
    • Fender MIJ Single-Coil Jaguar Pickups
    • Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special Preamp
    • Black All-Parts Jazz Control Plate/Output Jack Plate
    • Black D'Addario/Planet Waves Elliptical Strap Buttons (I dig these bunches!)
    • Fender Jazz Bass Knobs
    • Black No-Name Bridge (mit brass saddles!) & Dome Knob
    I just couldn't resist this body. It's flippin' gorgeous! drool It was probably a "factory second", due to the misplaced bridge pilot-holes near the end. They're not very deep and are inconsequentially cosmetic, so I left them alone. Also, I had to do some fillin' & drillin' on the neck's existing boltholes. Normally, I would've done that to the body to make it compatible with other Fender/Squier necks, but the neck pocket's design wouldn't allow for it. So-not a big deal!

One thing for sure, I love those Squier CV necks! They just feel "right" to my hands! :thumbsup: 'Tis a shame FMIC seems to have discontinued the Classic Vibe series.

The controls are Volume/Volume/Tone/Bass-Boost. To be honest, it should be called "Bass & Muther-Effin' Volume Boost!!". Turned down, it sounds as Jazzy as it should, but when you start cranking the boost, it beefs-up the bass frequency and volume considerably. I may have to reproduce this again in a later project. Thinking trimmed_zps4m5itmad.png~original.png

Mad Love to everyone here at TalkBass…both for your technical know-how and the endlessly generous encouragement that made this all possible.
    All y'all guys and gals rock something fierce! Smiley01-1.giforiginal_zpsaha5cirp.gif~original.gif

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    There can never be enough blue basses in the world .
    Squier CV necks /basses are superb .
    Nice build. I like what you've done .

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That's nice looking, and I agree on the pilot holes, they actually kind of work cosmetically, strangely enough. I might've stuck some black pickguard screws in them, but fine as is.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  4. Malak the Mad

That's actually a damn-fine idea, and if I were gonna keep it, I'd probably act on it. :thumbsup:

bholder likes this.
  5. Malak the Mad

UPDATE: I'm probably going to switch out the neck soon. I just ordered a used, Squier Standard Precision Bass Special of the "Black & Chrome" variety to harvest for parts. Personally, I think the black-painted headstock would look slammin' on that blue Jazz body. It also brings it a wee bit closer to the visual groove of my Projekt Blue Jazz. drool

Fun fact about the Squier Standard P-Bass Specials, despite the "Precision" logo, it's actually a Jazz-spec'd neck, and a comfy one, at that…at least, in my own, two hands.

View attachment 2848445

6. Fede Gennari

Fede Gennari

Dec 18, 2017
    Oh snap, its beautiful!! congrats dude!
    Consider, as I mentioned in the other post, a push pull pot for the boost so you are not a slave of batteries in case of an emergency.. just bypassing. and it can work like stepping on a pedal for boosting a solo :D

Malak the Mad likes this.
  7. Malak the Mad

Updated photos! :woot:

Finally, the weather has relented enough for me to utilize my photo studio (aka: my front yard) to take some proper pics. :snaphappy:

While it's Squier CV Jazz neck is long gone, I'm kicking around the idea of adding an all-maple, bound & blocked Squier VM '70s neck to it…assuming it doesn't get sold first. (re: shameless plug, check my signature for details :whistle:)

cvbvRBF.jpg
    zrwj4P4.jpg
    42diZnR.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Bob mcAlister likes this.